Help me decide on a Marshall sound for around $1500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rock Johnson, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

I'm in the early (read: research) phase of buying a new amp.

I'm a Les Paul into a Marshall kind of guy, so the new amp has to be a Marshall or a Marshall clone. My favorite LP sounds are from Slash, Gary Moore, and a little known band from Chicago, REZ.

As my bandmate SouthernShred can attest, I'm not into pedals, so the amp doesn't really have to play nice with them. My current rig is a Slash Sig Les Paul----->Bad Monkey---->Thomas Organ Co. Crybaby----->modded Marshall DSL401.

I'd prefer a channel-switching amp, although I can fake it with the three volume controls on my LP (yes, three - two for the SD Alnico Pro IIs and one for the Fishman) and the toggle switch.

My upper limit will be about $1500, and there isn't much wiggle room there.

So..... have at it, TGPers! Help me out! When I get the amp later this year, I'll make sure to post lots of soundclips for everyone.

:RoCkIn

2. Erik

Erik Member

Well, pretty much any new Marshall is in your range...or something used from Roccaforte, Splawn, etc.

3. BozoTone

BozoTone Member

What kind of gain structure are you looking for? Is it lower gain like a JTM45, mid gain of a Plexi, or the higher gain of a JCM800. The Slash reference always brings an 800 to mind. Gary Moore is a chameleon.....
    BZT

4. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Man, there are used Marshalls from the early 70s well inside your price range. I just bought a 1975 50W JMP for $900, and a 1974 100W Super Bass for less than $1500. Both are completely original, or close enough, and the Super Bass is gorgeous. They'll only go up in value, and it's hard to get more Marshally!

5. Don L

Don L Member

6. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

Used TopHat block logo 50w Emplexador. Covers JTM45 to JCM 800. Not a channel switcher but a heck of an amp.

7. Berre

Berre Member

8. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Marshall sound, buy a Marshall. As nice as some of the other brands are, there is no substitute.

On the other hand, you already have a DSL, and apparently that's not doing it for you.

I would say get a Jubilee. I certainly want one.

9. Jerrod

I think there's a Classic 45 in the Amps Emporium for a good price.

10. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

Reinhardt
    Germino
    Rockytop
    Splawn
    Roccaforte
    Top Hat

or

Marshall...JMP or JCM800...easy enough to find. Buy a good cab and you're done.

You know me dude, I've got amp GAS of my own right now and I've been researching Marshall tones like crazy...all the ones I mentioned above could fall into your price range used...I think you should figure on getting a head and figure a cab into your cost...either a good 2x12 or 4x12...

11. bailnout

bailnout Member

I'd say listen to your band mate. Sounds like he knows what he's talking about. Getting the Slash tone with your guitar would be a cinch with a Jubilee or Slash signature Marshall. But getting Gary Moore as well might call for a different Marshall. My vote would be to the JCM800 2203 or late 70s JMP with the vertical inputs. Monster amps and THE tone of rock!

12. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

The DSL sounds pretty good, just not great. If I didn't have the extra money coming, I'd be perfectly content with it.

13. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

Good point. How reliable are they? I can't afford to take my amp to the amp doctor every other week -- it's gotta be reliable.

14. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

Yeah but he's a gear whore. :BluesBros

He's also my best friend, so I can talk smack about him :)

15. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

:D

BTW, something I've thought about...maybe picking up a JMP or something and sending it to Splawn or David Bray for "the treatment"...upgrade the transformers, PPIMV, a little more gain, etc...or just grab a Rockytop 45H for $950 and throw a pedal in front of it...it should get you through AC/DCish tone without a pedal...

Honestly though, my personal favorites, just from what I've read, are the Germino and Reinhardt amps. I imagine Rocktyop is pretty comparable. Doug Roccaforte's HG100 is another beast that I fell in love with on a gear trip, but HG = high gain all the time...at least that was my impression. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong. I've played a Germino Lead 55 and that was pretty darned sweet. Bob Reinhardt is making some great stuff now...that "Ampzilla" channel switcher sounds right up your alley or even the "Titan" 36 watter...

Personally, I would find a builder that you could talk to personally and have a good relationship with if you ever had trouble, etc...someone who would provide great customer service...to me Greg Germino, Bob Reinhardt, etc rise to the top of the list...Marshall/Korg doesn't...

16. Erik

Erik Member

I played a Splawn modded Marshall that was nice...so I went out and bought an actual Splawn...it actually sounds a little different. (Not as "hairy".) If you go the Splawn route, and you want the modded Marshall sound, go for the Quickrod. On 1st gear, overdrive 1...you have your Plexi-"ish" sound (a la more muscular plexi). 1st gear, OD2 and you're in "Plexi on Steriods" territory.

If cleans aren't terribly important, you can pick up a shared EQ version for around $1300 or so (and run an EQ in the loop). If you're patient, you might be able to get a current version with seperate EQ's in the used market for $1500~$1600. (Heck, brand new they're about $1800.)

17. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

Oh yeah, who could forget, Aiken!!! You could probably watch for a used Aiken. Maybe I can bring my friend's Intruder 30 to rehearsal this week.

18. khudson

khudson Member

Rock - check your PM

19. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

Soldano Avenger......No channel switching, no loop....Mountains of tone, and right at 1500. I played one with my LP, and it sounded just awesome. Way more gain than most can ever use too. Plus they are built like a tank.

Steve

20. Jerrod

Let me state the obvious. :)

Those are cool, but they ain't Marshalls.

:horse