Help me decide on a Strat! (please)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bouteqtive, Oct 4, 2008.

Which Strat?

1. G&L Legacy

2. Make a Partscaster

3. Buy a used partscaster

4. Something else! (post below)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. bouteqtive

bouteqtive Member

Alright so I have a MIM strat now and it will not stay in tune, the frets are terrible, and i've had enough. But I love the Strat tones (specially the neck pup), so I'm upgrading to a better one. I'm between a G&L Legacy, Warmoth/USACG partscaster, or buying a used partscaster from the emporium/ebay. Cast your vote!

2. Nashville Slim

Nashville Slim Member

MIM Robert Cray and Jimmie Vaughan signatures are both killer, and great bone stock.

3. JoeNewbie

JoeNewbie Member

I'd go for a US-made Highway 1 Stratocaster. They are incredible values.

You should be able to get a brand new one for around $700.

4. ruby7829

ruby7829 Supporting Member

I'd go partscaster. You can get some of the best parts money can buy, usually (in my opinion anyway) even better than Fender Custom Shop stuff. You'll find they have better pickups, nicer feeling necks (especially if you like meatier necks), better hardware. And it'll usually run you about the same as a US standard strat. There's a reason K-Lines, Nash's, etc are in such high demand. It's because they feel absolutely amazing.

5. bouteqtive

bouteqtive Member

yeah partscaster seems best...now its just between making one and buying one. thanks everyone

6. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

I'd recommend an used American Fat Strat...Texas Specials up front and a Seymour Duncan humbucker in the bridge....tasty!!

7. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

Well, I'd do either or both of the following:

- Go out and play as many strats as possible and find one that really ticks.

- Buy a new neck (built to your spec) from either USACG or Warmoth, (USACG being my fav), put it on the current MIM and get a pro setup.

Partscasters are great, or can be great.

However, unless you are experienced with different combos of woods, neck details and hardware....etc, the end result can be horrible. You'll need a pro setup/tweaks anyway unless you're competent in doing the whole thing.

8. Joe_Steeler

Joe_Steeler Member

EJ Strat.
    Suhr S-series.
    Fender CS Custom Classic.

9. murkat

murkat I like sea otters Silver Supporting Member

Go play alot of strats. write down what you like and dislike. Check out all (search) on the TGP, check out the crafters in the emporiums. Have it made to your spec. There are some great Crafters out there besides the Big F .....

10. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

It's not on the list, but I would recommend checking out the MIM Deluxe Player's strats. I own one and IMO, it's one of the best strats I've ever picked up stock. It stays in tune after an unbelievable amount of bends and chops - moreso than my bigsby tele with a graphtech nut. The neck is nice and smooth, build quality is great, and the parts used are top notch (ie. vintage machine heads, RI stamped saddles, CTS pots, Noiseless pups, etc.). Plus it's fairly cheap :) always a plus.

11. 205

205 Senior Member

I'd go an American Series/Standard based on what you're willing to spend. They're all fairly consistant in quality, lot's of em around so you're bound to find one you like.

12. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

I voted make a partscaster but there sure are some nice Highway 1's out there. I've been really impressed with a couple.

13. novawind

novawind Member

I was in your situation not even a week ago. I splurged on a used '97 American Standard and I couldn't be happier. You'll definitely notice a jump in quality/feel from switching to American. Partsocaster would depend on how much you spend on pickups, neck and body etc. I added it up about a month ago and came to the conclusion that it would actually be cheaper to get a new American Standard than a partsocaster from Warmoth or the like (with all the components that I wanted). Hope that helps.

14. jazzrat

jazzrat Member

Love Fenders but....
    Having had two EJ's a bunch of MIM's and just sold an '08 AmStd, I'll vote G & L Legacy.
    Just bought an '06. Beefy neck that feels very similar to the EJ's.
    The PTB tone system is more usefull than I thought, especially on the neck pickup.
    You can roll the bass off for a lot of great tones. Fit and finish is perfect.
    Really smooth tremolo with a solid slip-in arm that does not wiggle. No teflon tape needed.
    I would not pay the new price but used they are a terrific value.

15. bouteqtive

bouteqtive Member

16. auraelux

auraelux Member

The Jimmy Vaughan strats are really amazing, and the price is nice. I'd go for that one if your budget is light. But if you wanna go for something more personal, Warmoth is a great way to go, you control every aspect of what you get, and you can build it yourself, maybe with the help of a local tech. Check out the gallery of customer strats on the site.

www.warmoth.com

17. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Carvin is having a 30 to 40% in stock sale right now ...
    The Carvin Bolt-on's (strat style) are really excellent guitars ...

18. bouteqtive

bouteqtive Member

sorry auburn-grad, i know you probably hear this alot, but i just wont have the money for a few months. good luck with the sale though!