Help Me Decide On An Amp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jaradclement, Mar 26, 2008.

1. jaradclement

jaradclement Member

Hello,

I've been playing a Fender Blues Deville for a good while now, yes i know cringe. Although it has faired me well over the years, i think its time to upgrade.

The sound i am looking for is a very clear, crunchy when needed, and very beautiful cleans. The one amp i had my eye on was the Two Rock Signature Reverb, but the price is going to kill me since my price range is 1000-2000. If anyone has listened to Matt Schofield, his sound is basically what i want. But i'd rather not be a copy cat with tone, so i am open to new possibilities.

If you know of any amps that fit my standards, please let me know!

( I would prefer a channel switched foot switch, trying to eliminate the need for an overdrive pedal )

2. strumminsix

strumminsix Member

For your price range the Mesa Lonestar is worth consideration.

3. NatDeroxL7

NatDeroxL7 Member

IMO I currently own the two best clean sounding amps I have ever heard. I've only owned 7 (valvetronix lol, JSX 2x12 combo, Orange Rockverb, Bogner XTC, Bogner Duende, and the two below), but here are the best two I have found and kept:

BadCat Custom Shop A/B 50.......used it is within your price range, but very hard to find since it is a scare commodity.

Star Amps GainStar. Just got this one yesterday and the cleans are just as good as the BadCat, it breaks up just a tad later due to a lower gain preamp tube that was put in instead of a 12AX7, and is a bit thicker/chimey-er. This one you could probably nab a combo, or head+1x12/2x12 for just a few Benjamins more than your limit....and it would probably be worth it.

You do have to use the guitars volume to get a crunch on the GainStar because the gain channel only sounds really full-bodied once you get the gain above noon, and the master up around 10 to noon as well, which is pretty overdriven.

Anything Matchless/BadCat/Star Amps...all Mark Sampson based/designed circuits, is going to have a great fender/vox clean channel....really great. I would say you should look for something from them if you can find some to try out. Used is the way to go, and should get you close to, maybe even in, your price range.

4. RP Rad

RP Rad Member

A used Egnater Mod 50 would do everything you would want and more. Also a Rivera Clubster or Chubster amp has some of best clean sounds around a very good overdrive channel.

5. jaradclement

jaradclement Member

thanks for the help everyone, i have some new researching to do!

Even though my price range is around 1000-2000 i can go over.

The limit i would spend is 3500ish

How are Fuchs amps?

6. jaradclement

jaradclement Member

By the way i play mostly Single Coil guitars

7. GA19RVT

GA19RVT Member

Savage Rohr 15 or Rohr 15x is what you want. It straddles that clean/overdrive fence perfectly and it has a unique tone with an "x" factor that, IMO, is different from other amps.

You can find a Rohr 15 used for less than $2k. Check out this one at Boston Guitar, sporting Tone Tubbies no less!!

[​IMG]

8. J.T. Guitar

J.T. Guitar Platinum Member Silver Supporting Member

Andy makes some great amps. But, I like the TRs better. There have been several Custom Reverb Sigs. (M. Schofield's amp) that have sold used lately for around the $3500.00 mark.

Actually, there is a GPer that failed to sell his on E-Bay a couple of days ago. I forgot who it was, maybe he'll chime in here.

9. jaradclement

jaradclement Member

Im going to take a little road trip this weekend, i found a dealership in Baton Rouge Louisiana that sells Matchless and Badcat amps. I'll start from there.
    What is everyones views on Dr. Z amps?

10. GA19RVT

GA19RVT Member

what dealer is that?

11. jaradclement

jaradclement Member

12. dspblues

dspblues Silver Supporting Member

Look for a used Pure 64 Mean Street... then save for a 1x12 cab.

13. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

I just went through this exact same search for Matt Schofield tones. And I do mean EXACTLY the same. I'm obsessed with the guy's playing, and we're doing a few Schofield tunes in my band. The options I was considering were:

Pure 64. My GAS radar is still beeping on this one. Haven't heard anything at all, but the raves all rave about what I've been looking for.

Carol Ann. The clips sounded the best of all to me, but too much $$ for moi.
    Two Rock. Ditto. But there are so many different models. THe obvious choice was to get the model that Schofield uses, but even used those seem a bit too pricey.

I wound up with two amps: (okay two MORE amps, I already have a Tone King Meteor (I) an RI 59 Bassman, and a Peavey Delta Blues with a 15" speaker)....

First I got a A Heritage Colonial head. Wonderful, big cleans. I haven't even been able to get it to crunch yet, only played it out a few times. Great amp though. You can use el34s or 6L6s, I'm using the later. Takes pedals very well.

And I just got a Ceriatone Overtone. (ceriatone.com) Basically a d*mble knock off. Built by a guy in Malaysia. There are threads about it on this forum, check them out. YOu can email Nik, the builder, and he's very helpful with information, etc. You order by paypal and the amp shows up two months later. It is GREAT. It gives me the Schofield sound in spades. Big cleans, spanky, but not thin at all, lots of body. I love it. If I didn't have any amps and was looking for that tone and had your budget, this is the one I'd buy.

Having said that, you can get that tone with a bunch of different amps and the right pedal (Schofield used a Super and a Red Snappper for a long time before the Two Rocks apparently)

14. jaradclement

jaradclement Member

That ceriatone does sound really nice soundhound thank you! And thank you everyone else for such quick help! There are a lot of brands out there, its kind of overwhelming for me. That Carol Ann sounds nice too, so many possibilities.

15. Strat

Strat Member

Another Savage Rohr 15 recommendation here. Incredible tone, quality and versatility and the "right" power level. Best of all - has never been an amp of the month on TGP or linked in any way with the word Dumble so under the radar around the cork sniffing yawners around here.........

16. GA19RVT

GA19RVT Member

Now that's funny. :)

17. jaradclement

jaradclement Member

I played a Matchless Independence this weekend, besides the 3500$ price tag, it was AMAZING. The Black Cats also sounded nice!