Help me decide on mixing software

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Brusco, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Brusco

Brusco Member

I want to import .wav files from a Tascam 2488 into my computer to master on a Mac laptop. I won't be recording, just preparing my tracks for automated mixing. I would also like to use plug-ins to use effects, EQ and compression if needed to get the sound right. Is this basically what sequencing software does? What are some software applications that do this basic job. I know some programs lean more toward midi and synths, etc.. I only need it for automated mixing.
    Also, would an interface or D/A converter be needed to hear my mixes through my monitors and then to go stereo out to record on my CD burner?

2. Brusco

Brusco Member

This is why I find the whole computer recording thing so elusive. Too many choices and particular needs for different musicians. I guess my question is too loaded? What about Traktion?

3. d7music

d7music Member

Since you're on a Mac... I'd recommend Apple GarageBand, or Logic Express or Logic Pro... depending on your budget.

You don't need an interface or D/A converter...

4. Da5Id

Da5Id Member

Logic Pro will work, however since you stated you don't need the synths/midi capability, it's overkill. I assume you're going to be bringing in stereo tracks from your Tascam? You also mentioned mixing and mastering in the same sentence, so I'm not sure what you want to do. Mastering involves doing final work on 2-track and not mixing multi-tracks.

If you're mastering two track audio that was "mixed" on the Tascam, then there are a couple of choices. If this is the case, there's Peak by Bias and DSP Quattro (cheaper than Peak and probably as good). Both support apple's Audio Units as well as VST plugins.

If you're bringing in multi-track audio to "mix" and then "master" you're going to need something that can handle multiple tracks at a time like your Tascam can. In this case, a sequencer will be the solution as I don't know of a multitrack software audio only program for the mac (like Waveburner on the PC). Maybe there is one, but not that I know of. Then you'll be very well served by Logic Pro as the previous poster mentioned. Comes with a buttload of audio processing plugins plus another buttload of synths (which you may end up using after all). Downside is cost and computer power needed to run it efficiently. I run Logic on a DP 2.7 but formerly on a powerbook. On the PB I could get maybe 5 to 10 audio tracks with a few plugins each before it crapped out. If you can find an old version of soundtrack pro by Apple that would be fantastic for 2 track, however it's now only bundled with final cut pro.

Regarding audio interfaces, with Peak or Quattro you don't have to have a really low latency interface. In fact for mixing/mastering you can leave the latency high and you're fine. If playing/recording midi instruments from a keyboard, latency is an issue and you'll need an external interface that natively supports Core Audio via firewire preferably. You may want to invest in a decent external audio interface anyway for higher quality A/D/A converters than those built into your powerbook.

The name "sequencer" originally described a midi only program that you could record midi into and play it back. It has since morphed into including audio as well, so all sequencers will include both midi and audio capability.

Oh well, I've probably rambled a lot. Good luck!

5. discountsounds

discountsounds Member

I'm in the same boat in the sense that I'm recording on a Fostex MR-8 and I just want to dump the tracks to my computer for automated mixing and adding effects, EQ, compressions, etc. The only difference is I'm on PC, not Mac.

I have a little software tool from Fostex called WavManager that imports tracks from the MR-8 as wav files via USB, so that part is taken care of. I also have Cakewalk Home Studio XL, but it seems to be geared towards synths, MIDI, looping and whatnot. Cakewalk cost me about $100, which is right in my budget range.

In addition to any suggestions for simpler software to use on PC, I'd love to hear recommendations for websites that introduce we noobs to the world of recording and post-production work with computers.

Thanks!

6. discountsounds

discountsounds Member