Help me Decide on my next acoustic

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by jayjacque, Aug 27, 2013.

1. jayjacque

jayjacque Member

Just wanting to upgrade to something really nice and don't have thousands to spend, so the idea of Yamaha's A series as in A3R or A3M with pretty much all solid woods appeals with all the features I want: solid wood, acoustic/electric, cutaway for higher fretting, nice electronics. At about $750. I can sell a few things and make that work. The other option is to beg, borrow, or steal to come up with $300 more for a Breedlove. What would you guys do? And if I go for one of the Yamahas which one, rosewood or mahogany?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  2. jayjacque

jayjacque Member

Slight correction; I guess it's A3R or A3M

3. jayjacque

jayjacque Member

Ok, so skip the mahogony body Yamaha, should I go for a $1000 Breedlove or the Yamaha A3R? Anybody?

4. guitararmy

guitararmy Member

5. mortatort

mortatort Member

I'm a huge fan of Yairi guitars. IN the USA, they will be labelled as Alvarez/Yairi, but are not made by Alvarez. $750 will get you ALOT of guitar if you buy used. Lemme see if I can find a clip of mine/...

edit: here's several bits recorded a while back with a mic and a zoom recorder. The guitar is an Alvarez/Yairi GY-1. My playing isn't the best but I don't care... https://soundcloud.com/mortatort/face-melting-tone-medley

Completed Ebay ads... http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...RRENCY=0&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&LH_Complete=1

6. frquent flyer

frquent flyer Member

One more vote for Alvarez-yari.

7. pb641

pb641 Member

Don't know if you read my review of the Breedlove C25-SRe, but you really should audition this brand. The offerings here in Amarillo for guitar selection are pretty slim thanks to GC coming to town 7-8 years ago, but if you have access to some dealers with decent selection, just go in, sit down, and play a few. If I had gone into GC with a hard core predeliction for a particular sub $1,000 brand, I would have cheated myself. As stated in my review after playing a breedlove, I went with the Atlas Stage series, but I gotta say again that the Passport series is an incredible buy at 5-600. Any model you play under 1k is coming from overseas. So, it will come down to your personal choice and tastes. It's a tough decision, because all of the major brands are offering a whole lot of guitar nowadays for under a grand. Good luck.

8. Vindicator9000

Vindicator9000 Member

Sides are solid rosewood on that one. Wonderful buy if you don't need a cutaway, but that was the dealbreaker for me on the Revival series. I had lived with non-cutaway acoustics for years, and decided that a cutaway was the #1 feature that I had to have. They're still great though.

If I absolutely had to have all solid woods and wanted to keep it below $799 with a cutaway, really the only new option is Yamaha. I personally lean towards the rosewood, but you should play a bunch and find what you prefer. The A series all solid guitars are all great, and I SERIOUSLY considered them when I was looking for an acoustic/electric with a cutaway in your price range. IMO, they're the best value you can get in an all-solid acoustic. I'm pretty sure I'd buy an AC3R over a Taylor 214ce any day of the week, and that's saying a lot.

Or, wait until GC has a 20% off coupon and buy a Breedlove Atlas for $799 (plus tax, of course). Unlike the Revival series, the Atlas series have solid back, laminate sides. I love mine, but I'll say that factory setups seem to be all over the place on them. The Yamahas are all solid, cheaper, and more consistent, but the Breedlove I happened to find was just perfect for me.

9. jayjacque

jayjacque Member

Thanks all for the replies. I'll have to look more into the Alvarez, but as we speak am definitely leaning toward a Breedlove D25. C25 is interesting too and I guess depending on the day Yamahas A3R right up there. Gotta sell some stuff first. But in the meantime I'm salivating for the D25.

10. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Seagull. They are made in Canada, and are a tremendous value at about half of a grand.

[​IMG]

11. Curt

Curt Member

I have an A3R. It's a wonderful sounding and excellent playing guitar.
    It gets as much play time as my Taylor.

12. jerryfan6

jerryfan6 Silver Supporting Member

Not all solid wood...but a used Taylor 214ce would be pretty sweet. Or save a little more and get the all wood 314ce. I played them both recently and was totally blown away. I didn't hear a gigantic difference betweent he two. The 214ce had a little more projection, but the 314ce sounded a little more complex. Both played so easily. I do understand that the electronics are MUCH better in the 314ce, so if plugging in a lot, that might be a deciding factor.

13. Troy Beadles

Troy Beadles Member

I wont play an Acoustic unless it's a Cutaway. Fender & Epiphone is what I play Acoustically. Take your new Acoustics to the Local Guitar Shop and have them set it up for fast action or you'll be strumming with bloody fingers for you new Acoustic Players.

14. Me Again

Me Again Member

If you scrape $1,000 together, look into the Larrivee 03 series. An incredible value.

15. strumnhum

strumnhum Member

I just came back to see if my older Yamaha FG-360 was worth fixing--the news wasn't good--needs a neck set which would be more than the value of the guitar. But the luthier I visited also sells guitars. I tried out a few Walden brand acoustic guitars. I have to say that I am very impressed with the way they are built, sound, and play. Dollar for dollar, feature for feature, they seem to be a good value. If you can find someone who carries them, try a few out. I think you'll come to the same conclusion as me. Haven't bought one-yet-still deciding if I really need an acoustic, hardly ever played my Yamaha, but Walden is at the top of the list for value, if I do decide to pick up an acoustic again.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  16. kirkham13

kirkham13 Member

Martin 15 series are worth a try, great low neck profile, 800 used or so.

17. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I have a Simon & Patrick Showcase Rosewood dreadnaught that I could be coerced into parting with. Comes with a pretty nifty case, and it would be well within your price range. :munch

It's not a cutaway, but it's a fine guitar...and big bang for the buck. If you're interested, shoot me a PM and I'll get some photos together.

18. kboyd62

kboyd62 Member

19. Jim Moulton

Jim Moulton Member

There are 4 or 5 used Seagull S-6 guitars on Guitar Centers used guitar area for between 2 and 3 hundred dollars.

20. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

+1 an incredible value for a phenomenal guitar. I picked up a used om-03r this summer. :cool: