Help me decide the design for my guitar build

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jayspencer, Mar 11, 2019.

1. jayspencer

jayspencer Member

Excuse the crude graphic design, I'm planning a headless guitar build and wanted to get you guys' opinions, do you prefer the raw or roasted maple neck, and what other design features would you want to add/point out?

Obviously its pink, and headless, so it's not everyone's cup of tea. Guitar body will originally be a Tele shape but i have access to a shop where i can cut it down and shape it. I used the kiesel zeus as a platform for the body shape so i didn't have to guess which angles would work in terms of how the guitar sits when wearing a strap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    krik likes this.
  2. Lele

Lele Supporting Member

I got a cheap Chinese clone of a Strandberg few months ago, and now I can say I like a lot the concept of headless guitars, and I'm considering to build a good headless one sooner or later.
    So, go ahead with your project!
    I have to say that the Strandberg body design is very (very) comfortable to play when sitting in front of a table with my laptop. Much more than my other traditional shaped guitar bodies. On the contrary, for me, the (Strandberg) progressive asymmetric neck shape is nice only about till the 12^ fret, then it is really too thick on the side of the thinner strings (D-B-E).
    Nevertheless I like the Telecaster body shape, and your idea is very interesting.

As to the fretboard, I think you should look at the playability and your preference.
    I don't like painted maple fretboards, I really can't play them. So any not-painted alternative is good (pau-ferro, rosewood, ebony) for me. But in your case, to be honest, considering just the pure design I prefer the clearer fretboard, but I'm not sure you can use a raw maple fretboard without painting it.
    I haven't tried any guitar with roasted maple, yet, even if I think it could be my first choice for a stable and light neck. On the contrary as to the fretboard, I heard of some cautions because it is a brittle wood, and maybe it isn't the nicest material when you need a refret.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    jayspencer likes this.
  3. Mikhael

Mikhael Member

Is it going to be hard to tune with the tuners that close to the body? Most headless designs have some sort of notch removed from the butt of the guitar, so you can get your fingers around the tuners.

4. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

The head/neck joint is such a weak point on a guitar. First time I saw a Steinberger the logic was inarguable.

5. LaXu

LaXu Member

It doesn't have to be as long as it's not made in a stupid way like a lot of headstock angle with no support under the nut ala Gibson or through bolted Floyd Rose nut on a super skinny Ibanez Wizard. The drawback of headless is that tuning is more cumbersome because you can't play the strings while tuning with another hand. IMO headless is the way to go when you want a physically compact and light guitar. Saying this as a headless owner.

As for the design in OP, not a fan just like I am not a fan of the Kiesel Zeus. The pickguard seems too large for the body and I think more svelte curves like the Strandberg Sälen look far better if you're going for a Tele vibe.

jayspencer likes this.
  6. jayspencer

jayspencer Member

The guitar body will have a part bevelled out at the back of the body to allow access to tuners (gonna go with the T4M ones), i tried to show it by using a shadow at the bottom of the body but my photoshop skills aren't the best

7. jayspencer

jayspencer Member

Appreciate the input mate! I agree on the pickguard, i think ill come up for a final shape once I've got all the parts ordered and mock-assembled.

8. krik

krik Member

OP, any updates? I'm looking into T4M hardware for a future build.

9. jvin248

jvin248 Member

Check out the Harley Benton headless models. Maybe the price is low enough to save you build time.

10. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

Why not just scallop the body completely away there? Why only a bevel? You could mimic the arc of it with the back edge of the pickguard.

11. diego

diego Member