Help me decide which Chorus pedal to go with

Dipintoplayer

Here is my choices so far

Used..TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/pitch modulation/Flanger excellent condition $160

New..TC Electronics Corona $129

New..Jacques Meistersinger MS-2 $129-$139

Those are the three that are in my price range ..I have budgeted around $150 cash or trade for a new chorus based on what i'm selling to be able to come up with the funds..Things are tight because i'm also trying to buy a SG at the same time..

If you know of some other quality chorus pedal that may have slipped my attention please shout it out..

The other option is just keep my old Ibanez/Maxon CS-9..

I play Blues,Americana,Classic rock mostly..

Amps Blues Jr and Marshal JCM800 ,Guitars mostly Strats..

Heady Jam Fan

I really like the TC Electronic SCF (Stereo Chorus, Flange, PM), but the chorus is the best of those three effects IMO. I never really ended up using the PM, and the Flange did not due it for me at first, but I just started playing with it again and found some definitely usable settings. It is nice to have a very good chorus and decent Flange in once pedal.

I can't say I know your other options as well, but don't think you can go wrong with one in excellent condition for $160. I am selling mine (been wanting other stereo modulation and they are hard to stack so I am going with a Modfactor) and hoping I might get a little more via ebay, but I suspect $160 is around the going rate currently.

I think stereo is important for modulation too. If you ever decide to run two amps, or use your mod pedals in the fx send of a mixer or something, it sounds infinitely better in stereo.

BiNGEaNiNjA

I'll make you an offer you can't refuse! Seriously though for the size the Corona is the best chorus I have ever heard. Stereo in/out tone-print and the option to use it as a buffer? Excellent pedal.

duderanimous

Monsterpiece Fuzz - Fuzz Master Extraordinaire
Gold Supporting Member
my vote goes for this one -
Used..TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/pitch modulation/Flanger excellent condition $160

I have one of these, and well, it just rules! It's an absolute classic with a well deserved reputation.

Another favorite of mine is the newer yellow MXR Stereo Chorus. Underrated chorus that you don't hear much about.

You'll probably get lots of votes for the newer TC Corona, but I can't really comment on that one because I have never tried it.

arielxl

The TC SCF is superb. But the built in power supply just turned me off.

I like Jaq Meistenger, Dave at LASD put a few of them for his clients. According to him, it is a combination of BOSS CE-2 and TC SCF.

I heard the TC Corona is not as nice and lush as the two above. But with Dann Huff toneprint setting is just tempting. But I am not sure you can dial his chorus sound with that one pedal.

Dipintoplayer

I think i'm starting to see a re occurring theme going on here and there isn't going to be a decisive winner..

I have heard complaints on the Corona that it comes off digital or mechanical sounding is there any truth in this?

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
I would go with the Meistersinger. I used to own a old Ibanez CS-9 and loved that pedal. The Meistersinger sounds different, but is still smooth and not metallic sounding. I also have a MAxon CS-9pro that I like alot. If you like the CS-9 but want more options consider the CS-9pro, they are in your budget used.

Richard P

If you like chorus, it's hard to not like the Meistersinger. The Corona is a nice pedal, and you can go a million directions with its versatility, but it's hard to top a superior analog chorus. The MS has it all going on: quiet, warm, mix knob. I've owned a lot of analog chorus pedals, and the MS is my favorite, period.

If I were you, I'd get 'em both and send back the one I didn't like…I didn't bond with the Corona, but you might. Plenty of places would let you return the Corona; I'm not sure about the MS. But if you have 'em back to back, you'll be able to decide for sure.

Dipintoplayer

You should give Digitech's Hardwire CR-7 a try.
No offense i tried the Hardwire CR-7 after seeing the great reviews but in all honesty it was okay but just to processed and digital sounding to my ears..

Don't get me wrong there was a few settings that i thought were decent..It lacked the warmth and lushness of the other pedals i listed..

It in ways reminded me of some of the Boss CH series pedals passable but nothing special..

I also think this is a problem with any multi voiced Chorus which is one of the main reasons i have not bought the TC Electronics Corona..

My first instinct is the Jacques Meistersinger MS-2..The sound clips are unreal and very natural sounding and the CE-1 settings are fantastic plus it is all done through knobs instead of switch's and presets..

The key word with the Jacques Meistersinger is analog where i maybe mistaken but even the TC Electronics SCPF is analog voiced instead of true analog..

scottkahn

+1 for the TC Stereo Chorus Flanger pedal. It's one of the few "benchmark" chorus pedals for a reason. But yeah, the power is a pain. It has a hard-wired (long) power cable. If you have a Voodoo Lab PP2P, plug it right in. But for other various pedalboard power supplies it can be a challenge.

bluejazzoid

Silver Supporting Member
No offense i tried the Hardwire CR-7 after seeing the great reviews but in all honesty it was okay but just to processed and digital sounding to my ears..
Hey, no offense taken! I had an original TC Electronics SCF (owned it for almost 20 yrs) and absolutely loved it... but after changing the power chord on it several times, and then having the button start to fail, I sold it. I've been looking for something else ever since.

I do agree about the CR-7 to an extent, but I guess it depends on what you're doing with it and how much you use it as to whether all that really matters (imo). I got mine used for a good price, and for the money I'm quite pleased.

But I'll have to try a Meistersinger I think now! =)

Good luck in your quest!

-DC/AC-

Don't wanna hijack the thread, but what do people think about the MXR Analog Chorus? It's the same thing as the Zack Wylde Chorus only without the stupid graphics.

Trebor Renkluaf

I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse?
Gold Supporting Member
The TC SCF is superb. But the built in power supply just turned me off.

I like Jaq Meistenger, Dave at LASD put a few of them for his clients. According to him, it is a combination of BOSS CE-2 and TC SCF.

I heard the TC Corona is not as nice and lush as the two above. But with Dann Huff toneprint setting is just tempting. But I am not sure you can dial his chorus sound with that one pedal.
TC SCF lush?!? :huh
Transparent? Yes? Beautiful stereo image? Sure. Lush? Not a term I've ever heard used to describe the SCF and certainly not my experience with the pedal.

s360guitarist

Silver Supporting Member
The best subtle chorus imo is the DOD fx65. I paid 25 for it here in the emporium. If you think it might help in your SG purchase, I'll give it to ya...since you are a local and all.

;)

sonicmayhem

I have a voodoo labs analog chorus and a visual sound h2o both are great but very different but both are very nice sounding pedals.

Trending Topics