Help me decide which Marshall cab for JTM45

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by VJF, Feb 6, 2011.

1. VJF

VJF Member

I'm going to build a JTM45 even though it's too much amp for me. I'm a bedroom player and love to build amps but I already have the Fender thing covered so I want a Marshall. I also know that I don't need a 4x12 but I like the look to complete the package. I will build the JTM45 with a master volume but I mainly will play relatively clean stuff like Wind Cries Mary

So with that said, I've narrowed my choices to these three (I'm buying used by the way):

1st choice - Marshall 1960TV (Celestion G12M25 made in UK, 25W, 98db) ~ $600
    2nd choice - Marshall 1960AHW (Celestion Heritage G12H30 made in UK, 30W, 100db) ~$800
    3rd choice - Marshall 2061CX (2x12 Celestion Heritage G12H30 made in UK, 30W, 100db) ~$500

I know I said I like the look of a 4x12 and the 2061CX is a diagonal mounted 2x12 but it looks pretty close to a 4x12 cab and maybe it's a good choice???

The 1960TV beat the 1960AHW due to price and the lower sensitivity of the G12M25 vs G12H30's for bedroom playing.

My ultimate choice would be to buy an empty 1960AHW cab and load it with Celestion Heritage G12M20 as these speakers have the lowest sensitivity at 96db. I know that there are other excellent speakers out there but I really want to stick with Celestions if I found an empty cab.

So that's my rationale so far. What are your thoughts?

Dannyz likes this.
  2. amberlefty

amberlefty Member

IMHO If your amp is a clone, really no reason to go with a Marshall branded cab. There are lots of great cabs out there that have "the look" and are as good or better in every way. A good bluesbreaker style 2x12 always works well with a JTM45. I chose Trutone (from past experience), but could have been perfectly happy with several other makers. No reason to hold on Celestion either, lots'o choices these days. For the money you quoted, you can get a lot better tone/build quality... for a lot less money.

3. VJF

VJF Member

"For the money you quoted, you can get a lot better tone/build quality... for a lot less money. "

You must be talking used correct?

I just checked prices on new Scumback, Metro, Germino, Stone Age, Mojo, Avatar cabs and they are all more expensive than the used Marshall cabs I listed above. I'm not familiar with any other cabs in this quality range.

The other problem is finding one of these other cabs locally in used condition. I see a nice used Germino cab in my price range for sale here but it's in Phoenix and I'm in Philadelphia :(

Still curious to hear from others who have played through the Marshall cabs I listed above how they compare to each other.

4. amberlefty

amberlefty Member

5. jchan

jchan Member

I recommend picking up a used Marshall cab and putting in good speakers, such as Scumback M75s.

71strat likes this.
  6. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

Keep your eye out for a used Marshall Vintage Modern cab, too (425A/B). They have G12C-25s that are a variation of G12M greenbacks. The G12Cs were created for the handwired Hendrix reissue stack and are great sounding speakers.

7. rickc007

rickc007 Gold Supporting Member

I'm with you on these > Celestion Heritage G12M20

I'd get the 2061 cab, put the Celestion Heritage G12M20s in it
    Sell the other speakers

Love that head to
    Killer setup that would be

8. Slowlicks

Slowlicks Senior Member

If I was looking for something to play at low volumes I would buy a Marshall 2061 combo and a 1x12 cab or a Head and 2 1x12 cabs.
    Better resale and its a Marshall, not a clone.
    Another great combo is the Marshall 1974, 18 watt combo.

9. rockbutt

rockbutt Member

The Marshall JTM45 RI head is a bit wider than the Marshall 2061cx and when placed on top of the cab it does not look aesthetically correct or appealing.

10. VJF

VJF Member

Good catch rockbutt, thanks...OK the 2061CX cab is out of the equation now.

11. jchan

jchan Member

12. rickc007

rickc007 Gold Supporting Member

Nice catch :dude

13. VJF

VJF Member

14. DICKIE C

DICKIE C Member

You should understand that there are most likely differences in the type of wood used in these cabs. Typically the TV cabs have more pressboard in them than the older cabs do. If the Hand-wired one is a true re-issue, it should have 5/8ths plywood all the way. These differences account for much of the price differences and they DO affect your overall sound. Whether or not you would like the differences or not is completely up to your ears. I have a 1982 top with 5/8ths ply everywhere except the back panel, which is pressboard. I got it real cheap on ebay and I think it sounds great.

As for the 2061 212 cab, I couldn't care less about aesthetics as long as it sounds good. Just my .02 cents.

15. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

*I* would go with Greenbacks (or GB clones). That speaker is just made for the old Marshalls (and clones), IMO.

16. Kostas

Kostas Member

As far as I know the two handwired cabs are all plywood including the back, the 1960TV is not.
    The 2061CX has the G12H30 Anniversay made in China speakers.

17. Bullhonky Deluxe

Bullhonky Deluxe Member

I gig a 45 nearly exclusively, and I love my Swanson 1x12 with a Celestion Gold. Having said that my Metropoulos '68 True Replica 4x12 (with Heritage 65's) is the holy grail if I'm being honest. But hauling it around bums me out.

If I had to choose from your list, I'd grab the 2x12

18. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

I recently sold all my Celestions and went Scumback.

71strat likes this.
  19. VJF

VJF Member

Oops...my bad :bonk

The 2061CX is out of the running anyway. As was pointed out earlier, the head will stick out over the edges of the cab.

I'm looking at that Stagecraft 2x12 that was recommended earlier so how would a 2x12 diagonal compare with a 4x12 at the moderately low volume levels I will play the majority of the time?

20. Dannyz

Dannyz Member