Help me decide.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by CHyde, Sep 29, 2008.

1. CHyde

CHyde Member

Hey guys. I'm currently putting together a good rig that'll get me through any situation. I pretty much have my pedalboard together, I have a Mesa Booge Subway Rocket that does a great job live and in the studio, and I have a Mexi Tele that I'm going to mod with a mini-bucker in the neck and a Fralin single in the bridge. I'll have a good range of tones on that one. My other guitar is a Hagstrom Deluxe-F. It's semi-hollow with 2 60's style humbuckers. The main problem with this guitar is that I can't intonate it properly. I mean, what do I want...it's made in China. Well, it's now time for me to buy a professional instrument as I play for my living. I've had a McCarty in the past but felt the neck was too big. Lately I've been looking at Les Pauls as I definately want that duals humbucker, classic sound in my arsenal. I played my brothers Deluxe and a friends Classic. Loved them both. My problem is this, this next guitar will be the last one for a while and, even with my tele, will be without the true strat sound. Should I comprimise and get something like a Suhr or Anderson with a HSS configuration or just stick with the Tele Paul combo I'm thinking of. Thanks.

2. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I am a bit surprised that you found the McCarty neck too big, but like LP necks. They feel fairly similar to me. Sounds like based on your description, the LP is a good fit for you. If you get an HSS strat, you still aren't getting all the strat sounds, as a coil split on the bucker is decent, but not quite the same to my ears.

The other thing is, you could sell the Hag since you wrestle with intonation (deal breaker for me), and pick up a used Mexican strat cheap and be covered. Happy hunting.

3. CHyde

CHyde Member

Good advice about the Mexi Strat. I'll definitely keep that in mind. Thanks.

4. CHyde

CHyde Member

Another thing about the neck size...When I bought the PRS I had been playing a very thing necked guitar. Since I've been playing more classic shapes/sizes. Maybe I'd find it comfy now.

5. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

i also have a Mesa Subway Rocket. i've found that it responds best with humbuckers. its a very high gain amp, even at low settings. single coils tend to hum too much an don't really impart the tone you're looking for from them behind all the noise.

i suggest running humbuckers in parallel for lower gain tones and then using a series switch for classic humbucker tones.

6. CHyde

CHyde Member

Thanks. I usually run just the clean side & pedals into it. I only find it noisy when I have my OD/Dist, comp, & boost on at the same time.