Help me design a HumSingHum guitar

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by slopeshoulder, Apr 15, 2008.

1. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

I have an assembly with two Lollar low wind Imperials and a Dimarzio VV. Strat wiring and knobs. I need my guy to build me a strat body and neck to make this into a guitar.
    So, with humbuckers or HSH do you prefer:
    -ash body with rosewood board?
    -alder body with maple board?
    -ash with maple board?
    -alder with rosewood board?
    I'm not inclined toward basswood or mahogany bodies or maple tops (unless you feel strongly!).
    Music will be medium to high gain leads, and some warmer jazzy stuff. I have other strats for the pure strat thing.
    Thanks!!!

2. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

For warm jazzy and smooth hi gain leads, I dont see why you wont consider Mahogany? its by far my favourite wood for warm clean tones and hi-gain!

Also look at the relationship of the pickups to the wood, I haven't any experience in the ones you talk about, but I know things such as Invaders are crap in mahogany but shine in alder etc etc etc.

3. PFCG

PFCG Member

Alder Maple combo i always liked. Could get some really nice dark jazzy sounds as well as some nice crunch. Ash i more vibrant and has a snappier attack. Id opt for a 1pc maple neck with a skunk stripe, and pick alder or ash if youd like.

4. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

Given those choices, I prefer Alder with Rosewood board. Although, I would prefer a lam board for Rosewood, and if that would not be an option and I had the choice then I would go with a Pao Ferro board, Alder body.
    Best Regards!

5. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

I worry that mahogany is best used in my three Gibson style guitars (Collings) and may lead to memories of my early 80's G&L S-500 that I never knew what to do with if used in a strat. But you may be right, maybe the sale would give me a bit more openness in the mids while maintaining the fullness? Hmm...

6. sarge40

sarge40 Member

When I think HSH strats, I can't help but think of Dave Murray's (of Iron Maiden) old strat. Alder body IIRC and maple neck. That is what I always wanted in an HSH strat.