• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Help me: Fender/vox sounding amp

gemckay

Right now I've got a fender bassman 59 ltd reissue. It's loud. Going to be finishing up school soon and in a little bit before I know it I'll be in my own place.
Wanted to start the search early for a new amp that is:

-15-20 watts
- good breakup (not too early)
-1,000-1500 bucks (used or new-for head mostly but combos cool too)
- looking at head/cab or combo
- able to pull fender and vox style sounds
- handwired (not pcb)

Appreciate any suggestions since I'm looking to just test out A LOT of
Amps right now.

Thanks guys.

gemckay

Want to play a Morgan real bad but I live in Canada.
That's also 35 watts so it would be too loud unless I got it with power scaling... Somehow. :)

terrapin

It's only 12 watts, but a Princeton Reverb is a thought. It, of course, does the Fender thing very well, and with the right pedal(s) up front can do the Vox thing very nicely.. I use a Lumpy's Lemon Drop, but you could use a Menatone TBIC or other pedals.

Catch

Analog>Digital Converter
Gold Supporting Member
Sounds like a Carr Viceroy/Vincent to me...I see them for $1800 used. Incredible amp! Also I love my Morgan DAG 15, great tones there.

Chicago Slim

Kustom Defender V15. It's a simple two EL84 amps, with a Volume, Tone, and a Bass Response switch. The Bass switch has four positions, American to British (blackface, tweed, Marshall, Vox?). Stock, the amp has a Vox flavor. It's chimey, articulate, and very touch sensitive.

I swapped the Celestion G10N-40 speaker, with an Eminence Legend 105. And the EL84's, with military grade EL84M's. The amp now has much more headroom, and more of a middy tweed sound. But sorry, it is PCB.

Last edited:

rburkard

Double Platinum Member
Great are the 3rd Power American Dream for Fender, and the British Dream for Vox/Marshall sounds.
Rene

djh8787

Silver Supporting Member
You just described a Goodsell Super 17. I would definitely check one of those out.

Bugeater

Savage Glas 30.

I've got the 2x12 version that I'm going to post in the emporium if you're interested.