Help me figure out my fuzz situation

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by glogulus, Feb 15, 2006.

1. glogulus

glogulus Silver Supporting Member

Hi,

I recently got my amp setup and everything seems to be working perfectly except for my CC2..

Here's a clip of my CC2:

http://home.comcast.net/~glogulus/myamp2.mp3

The first 30 seconds or so, too lazy to edit the file.

Here's my chain:

guitar -> peterson strobostomp -> pic wah -> ts9 -> klon -> keely compressor -> CC2 -> 2203X (loop has an eventide 2016 and a TC 2290)

I just don't like how the vibe and fuzz is sounding. What I mean to say is the fuzz just sounds harsh, and the vibe just seems to accentuate it. I have the regular fuzz card in the CC2, and I've tried the hot silicon one. Both just have a real harsh sound. It's like I can hear the spikes in the fuzz . Poking out at every oscillation of the vibe. I've tried tweaking the knobs and I can't seem to get thing smoothed out. I want to hear the fuzz through the vibe, but I want a nice smooth sweep.

I'm not sure if it's the pedal placement, or if that's how it's supposed to sound and maybe I should try some other pedals to do the same thing.

If I should just move on to different fuzz/vibe pedals anyone want to recommend a smoother sounding fuzz/vibe combo that can do the whole hendrix type thing?

2. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Hi,

The problem may be that you are playing at very low volumes. I can hear the acoustic sound bleed through the mic. Fuzzes, such as fuzz faces like to be used at higher volumes because the top end smooths as you crank up the amp + it compresses the signal more, so the fuzz won't poke out so much with vibe oscillation. That's just my opinion and based totally on my own experiences. A fuzz/distortion like a Big Muff works better at lower volumes.

3. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

It has been my experience that often fuzzes don't like low impedance signals from buffered pedals (KLON), it seems to craze the sound of fuzzes and make them hairier than useful, so I've put my KLON in a looper to keep it out of the way when I use a fuzz. The centaur is a great tool, on or off, at the head of the signal path. But everything behind it may not like what it does for the signal. You might want to try it without it, and if that changes things, a single loop bypass may be in order. Check some of the more recent KLON threads and see what the many owners have to share.

4. JimiB

JimiB Member

well the strobostomp (if you dont have it in true bypass mode) the Ts9, and the Klon cant be in front of the CC2 --- any buffered pedal into a fuzzface type circuit will sound like sh*t. Exactly like you describe it - harsh - spikey ect... Also Mike Fuller, Dave Fox, and I :) all agree. Run the vibe before the fuzz it takes some extra patch cables but its worth it. I have a very similar pedalboard and guitar-wah-cc2 is vitaly important. Try it and let us know.

5. exodus

exodus Member

What others said... buffered pedals like the klon and ts9 destroy a fuzz tone--I know from personal experience. I don't like buffers before or after the fuzz. They change the tone either way. Try that first.

Personally I like the vibe after the fuzz and I think it's no accident that Dave Fox designed the CC2 with the fuzz going into the vibe. (On the original "CC1" units it was the opposite: vibe going into fuzz, but it has since changed with the design of the CC2 ). Guys like Hendrix had similar setups, putting the vibe last. If the fuzz makes the vibe too strong--lower the vibe intensity (i forgot what that knob is called on the CC2).

A better sounding fuzz that doesn't have a buffer hitting it may round out in tone and make the vibe it is going into sound better.

6. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

IMO, all non-TB tuners should be isolated by means of an AB box, and overdrives sound best after fuzzes unless you're intentionally driving a fuzz into screaming territory by means of the impedance change.

7. glogulus

Thanks for all of the responses, I'm going to try out each of the suggestions to see if it makes a diff.

Could someone nutshell the whole buffered/unbuffered thing and why it kills tone sometimes and not others?

8. meterman

meterman Member

A fuzz wants to see the same impedance as the guitar's pickups, so the closer to the pickups you can place the fuzz the better. BTW FYI this is one of the issues that is improved on in the design of BJFE's Pink Purple and Candy Apple fuzzes.....

9. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

Interesting. This is less of an issue for Pete Cornish fuzzes, too. They don't clean up with the volume pot like others, though. How is it with the BJF's?

If I understand correctly, buffers are used in the active part of a circuit to reduce just this sort of unwanted effect. Fuzzes are pretty crude devices and I think the guitar is more like a part of the circuit itself.

10. glogulus

Okay, so I tried the CC2 on it's own and did the whole fuzz before vibe thing and I'm still not hearing what I want..

I also moved my klon to the front of the chain.. Does this include in front of the strobostomp?

I hear a difference with the klon up front, not sure if I'm liking it yet. I'm thinking of getting a looper just to have that option.

I really liked the vibe on the CC2, it can get so rich and fat.. I guess I'm going to be in the market for a new vibe and fuzz.. Is there a possibility there is something wrong with my CC2?

Recommendations on a vibe that can get that rich fat oscillation?

11. HitTheCity

HitTheCity Member

I have an MI Audio Neo Fuzz (a germanium based fuzz) and it actually sounds BETTER after a buffer. And its the most touch sensitive, reactive pedal I've ever used.

It's really quite an amazing design as germ fuzzes are known to be quite finnicky, but this one just works no matter where and how its used.

12. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

Did you try using patch cables to insert the vibe before the fuzz?

13. glogulus

Ya, didn't like it like that..

I was reading some other posts and I guess some ppl put an OD after the vibe.. Gonna try putting something at the end to see if that does anything.

That being said, I've got a KR megavibe small on the way :).

14. exodus

exodus Member

well, if you still don't like it, it may just be the pedal. I've had the CC2 (twice, actually), and to be honest, I never really bonded with it. I never really liked the fuzz and I tried both the stock hybrid and analogman sunface ge cards. It was either gritty at low settings or too saturated at higher settings, imo. I just couldn't find a good spot and probably would have liked a tone knob. I liked the vibe but found other vibes that I liked better so the unit went up for sale. Something to consider...

15. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

glogulus,

I've got a loooper that is an "either/or" AB loop. In other words it selects either loop A or loop B or bypass.

I'm thinking someting like this could help you. Perhaps putting everything that doesn't sit well with the Fuzz in one loop and then the fuzz in it's own and then everything that the fuzz is OK with pre or post the loooper would be an expedient way of dealing with your problems?

16. Wooley

Wooley Member

I have a CC2 and I can tell you that that particular problem should be easily solved by moving your CC2 to right after your wah. It actually talks about this in the instruction manual, but of course that thing is like 20-something pages long. But the CC2 pretty much HAS TO come first in the chain, after the wah. Make that change, and it should fix your wagon.
    Good luck.

17. glogulus

Ya I will definitely be looking into a looper to at least seperate out the klon and the fuzz.. Probably 3 loop thing should do it.

18. glogulus

Funny, this is also my second time :). The first time I had the CC2 it worked very well with an old 2204 that I had.. After I sold that amp, the CC2 didn't play nicely with my newer amps. After awhile I missed the vibe so I got another one. I really thought that since I am back to playing marshalls that the CC2 would do well, but it just isn't gelling with me.

I'm going to move on to a megavibe and a seperate fuzz pedal into a looper. Hopefully this will get me where I want.

19. glogulus

Ya, I tried this as well. Still getting that harsh fuzz sound, and the vibe just seems to accentuate that one frequency so that it sounds like a shrill brush going over my ears. I defintely know that the CC2 can sound much better, but I think maybe it's the combo with my amp and they just aren't playing nice together. I've had this happen before.

20. exodus

exodus Member

funny, that's what i moved to as well-- a megavibe and a mcfuzz hot. Love it.:)