Help me figure out my next amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by slowly, Apr 28, 2015.

1. slowly

slowly Member

I'm trying to decipher what my next amp should be and would like your input. Here's what I am sort of after:

- decent cleans, fender-esque
    - overdrive is thick and articulate. Clear and no flubbyness. Chords hold together and is not loose. 'Chewy' sounds like a good word to describe the OD.
    - touch sensitive
    - prefer a combo style amp but open to head/cab
    - $3-4K is my limit
    - main guitar is strat with low output pickups (Klein S-5-mid scooped). Would be nice for amp to be able to bond with other guitars like HB, P90's.

I think what I'm looking for is a dumble style amp. I play styles from blues, indie rock/folk, bit of jazz.

I've tried a limited amount of dumble style amps with various degrees of success. Sebago UP modded bassman, Two-Rock Jet 35, Quinn KTC SSS. The Sebago and Quinn I liked the most but the OD didn't hold together as much as I'd like it to. The TR Jet's clean was nice, but the OD was mushy and not clear at all.

Like I said, I think dumble-esque is what I'm after. I'm just not sure what exactly (Ie HRM, non-HRM, ODS, SSS, 102, 183, others??, etc etc). Even other type amps that fit this description?
    Could someone point me in the right direction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. 71strat

71strat Member

How many Watts required ?

For me I would get a Metropoulos GMP45 and buy 2 blown JBL E120's and send them to A Brown Soun for Hemp cones and have Mather Cabinets make 2 cabinets... 2 x 1 x 12 from the [PDF]JBL PROFESSIONAL ENCLOSURE GUIDE
    www.jblpro.com/pub/manuals/enclgde.pdf for the JBL E120.

You can also have the cabinets made with 3 piece backs so they can be used, Ported, Sealed, Open or Semi Open.

My Metro has much better cleans than my 69 Dual Showman reverb and the OD is Legendary for the GMP/JTM45. Its 38 watts.

Also with the JBLs they are so Efficient that I can keep up with most 100 Watt amps running 4 x 12 Celestion G12M's.

You could also look into the Metro Bluesbreaker Combo and get an Extra 2 or 4 x 12 extension cabinet.

I like the Head and 2 x 1 x 12 cabinets. It lets me use heavy speakers but they are easily moved.

I have 4 x 1 x 12 of these but usually only use 2 of them. If I want even More clean Headroom out a 38 watt amp I also have 4 x 1 x 15 JBL E130's.

I also often combine a 1 x 15 with a 1 x 12.

Also live a have some stands I can put the cabinets on and also slightly lean them back if wanted. Or you could stack the 4 x 1 x 12 or 15's ect.

But the 2 x 1 x 12 HC's JBLs are really all I need and are easy to carry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  3. slowly

slowly Member

Thx, I'll look into it! Wattage not too important for me. Any others?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk