Help me figure out the age of this Marshall cab.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by remedy, Jul 4, 2008.

1. remedy

remedy Member

I got this 4X12 as a gift from an old friend, not really sure how old it is.
    Surely someone on this page can help me figure it out, pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Speakers are dated November 14, 1968. Your cab is consistent with my 68 cab as far as construction details (baffle board has triangular supports in the bottom corners, plus the bottom strip underneath the full width of the cab) and metal handles.

Mine has lots of stained cloth...just like yours, too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the restoration thread I did on mine.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=214442

3. Gavin

Gavin Supporting Member

He shoots.....he scores. Nice gift!

4. guitarman_1

guitarman_1 Silver Supporting Member

Wow!!
    Great friend. Tell him its useless without the head, and that you are giving it to me as it does not work without it.

5. Dave C

Dave C Gold Supporting Member

I told ya it was somethin' special ...congrats John.

6. DEMENTED

DEMENTED Supporting Member

:AOK:drool:drool:drool:drool:drool Sheesh John, I wish I friends like that. Way cool cabinet there. Mr. Seavall knows what he's talking about too.

7. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

Congrats! What a cool cab.

8. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

Holy cow. Excellent! How's it sound?

9. remedy

remedy Member

Well that's what I thought, used a history of Marshall book to date the speakers & realized it was lat 60's! I don't havr the head....my buddy gave me a JCM 800 with it.

As for how it sounds here is the bad part, one of the speakers cones is badly torn %^&#@! (will post a pick shorly) What should I do?

10. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

Yea, once one cone goes bad, the whole cab is pretty much shot. No wonder your friend gave it to you.
    I feel bad for you, getting stuck with such a junkpile. Since it's a holiday, I'll take it off your hands. I'll even pay shipping.

I'm such a sport. :)

Oh, that Seavall Scumback guy will probably chime back in with some crazy ideas about getting that cone repaired. He's nuts. Oh sure, he has tons of experience with your type of speakers, but don't let that sway you. :)

11. DEMENTED

DEMENTED Supporting Member

Yeah, nevermind these guys, I'll drive over right now and give you my '76 Marshall 4x12 with 4 perfectly good speakers...I'll even throw in a case of beer. See ya in about 30 mins , ok? :) and don't worry about that waterstained grillcloth, I can live with it and the bad speaker.

12. remedy

remedy Member

You guys are funny....
    On a more serious note here is a photo of the damaged speaker, what should I do with it: recone etc?
    [​IMG]

13. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

It even has part of the original logo that is rare as hens teeth on a cab.

Send the speaker to Scumback he makes the best clones so he has the best recones. But to get top value for that cab you should find a good old replacement speaker as a recone even an excellent one is still a recone and not original.

14. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

Nice cab! However it looks like it spent some time in a flood, both inside and out. You might check the glue joints at the bottom, and maybe even flow some thin superjet super glue into the joint if it appears loose. You might even be able to repair that speaker, Jim will know. Either way you got a nice cab, my favorite.

GK

15. remedy

remedy Member

After further inspection the water damage is minimal, it seems to have "grown" up the grill through some capilary action. The joins seem to be OK.
    Dave C came by this afternoon & had a good look at it with me. We took the 2 bottom speakers out (one is the blown one) the other needs some inspection. We put 2 re-issue Greenbacks in there place & fired it up, sounds great!
    I think I'll look into having the blown speaker re-coned and leave it at that. I've got no plans of selling the cab (and won't gig with it either) most likely it will see studio work only. Now I need to find the bottom cab.....