Help me figure out this noise

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dwoverdrive, Apr 15, 2016.

1. dwoverdrive

dwoverdrive Supporting Member

So I play an XTC 101b like this video Im going to show you here. This happens with other amps too though. On dirt channels you will sometimes here an almost whistling/ringing overtone that comes in pretty clear at the 1:50 mark in the video below. I can get it to happen on my amp even with open chords so poor muting technique isnt the issue but keeping presence lower tames it a lot. I dont have any microphonic tubes and the power tubes are good too. We all deal with some of these wierd overtones from hardware or new strings too. I tend to notice these sounds more than most people and once I point stuff like this out they get mad bc they are hearing it forever after that!
    Take a listen at 1:50

2. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

Try a fretwrap between the bridge and the stop bar. What you're hearing is likely the string resonating between the bridge and stop bar. Thus the high frequency.

You can try to reproduce the sound (when you hear it) by picking the string between the bridge and the stop bar. One of those frequencies will likely match -- eg typically the string which is excited most.

It's most obvious to me on the 3rd string of my LPs.

3. dwoverdrive

I've tried that and isolated other sounds with that method. Actually my cleans do that really bad on any Gibson. The ceramic like Tortex pick material contributes too it seems like

4. Phil M

Phil M Member

All that vid did is make me want my 101B back

dwoverdrive likes this.
  5. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

Yeah, picks too. Not just material, but thickness as well.

Unplug and listen for it. It also occurs between the saddle and nut -- try muting with your fretting hand and moving from the neck pup to the saddles and notice the change (even after the fretwrap). It's most evident on my LP one inch from the saddle.

dwoverdrive likes this.
  6. Torren61

Torren61 Member

Last time someone needed me to help them figure out what was that noise, it was easy... death metal.

dwoverdrive likes this.
  7. dwoverdrive

It's a really great demo. Such a fun amp