Help me figure out what effect(s) this guy is using?!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by szechuan, Feb 2, 2008.

1. szechuan

szechuan Member

I love the guitarist from Rose Chronicles, particularly his tone on the album "Shiver". I can't figure out how he gets those creamy, smooth, sparkling sounds. See http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=45414492 and listen to the song "Echo of Angels", what I'm talking about is most pronounced during his picking from 01:06-01:28. Any suggestions? I detect some phaser, but there must be much more to it than that. Thanks for your help.

2. Strat

Strat Member

Johnny Marr

mid position on pu. delay, reverb, voxy type amp. Lousy singer....

3. szechuan

szechuan Member

Thanks guys! Quality of the singer aside, there seems to be some differing opinions. Anyone else care to make a suggestion?

4. starfish

starfish Supporting Member

It sounds like a digital rack effect type chorus, possibly some delay, and compression. It might even be a Roland JC-120 amp. The chorus sounds like that. There's no way that is a Vox amp, unless they were trying to make it NOT sound like a Vox. I'll bet that's a Rickenbacker guitar, and I think that is what your ear is focusing on tonally, not an effect per se, but the signature glassy tone of a maple neck Ric. The mix is poor so it's tough to tell if there is reverb on the mix or delay on the guitar.

I'll bet if you ran off and got a Ric 360 or 360-12, a chorus pedal and any clean amp you could cop that sound in the section you cited.

I know it may be hard to listen to criticism when you really like a band, but I would suggest listening to the bands they purportedly challenge on "the charts," i.e. Cocteau Twins, who have sold many millions of records. You'll find the guitar and vocals, and most notably songwriting, are in a completely different league. JMHO. :)

I will say as an afterthought... I don't think the Rose Chronicles are bad and I probably prefer their sound to much of the music around today. That stylistic sound and era were a still a creative time when music was pushing new ground.

5. szechuan

szechuan Member

Thanks! In fact, you are correct - I found a video on YouTube of the band playing a song from that album, and he was using a Ric and also looks like he has some rack effects. I don't think the amp is Roland, it looks like perhaps Marshall, but hard to tell since it's a poor video. There is slow delay, almost slapback as he plays a chord then lets the delay do the work for the next chord. Thanks for your insightful response, starfish. I do have a Cocteau Twins album, I haven't listed to it in ages and never really listened to the guitars per se since there seemed to be a lot more going on musically and it did not contain the sounds traditionally attributed to guitar. I'll revisit the album.

6. starfish

starfish Supporting Member

The wonder of the Cocteau Twins is that is all guitars you are hearing. :) Jazzmasters, Bass VI's and later Strats and PRS. There are a lot of delays and harmonizers used which give the guitars an otherworld sound. The Godfathers of Shoegaze as it were.