Help me figure out what OD I played once in 1997? Impossible challenge!*

marcoluz

my guess is that is going to be an endless search... you don´t even have any clue about the brand... and then there´s a chance that might be some custom build from some geek by that time.

Buzzard Luck

Here we go: in 1997 I recorded a bunch of tracks for a friend. I used what they had, which included an overdrive or distortion pedal that was a bit loose for my taste at that time but would work great for me now. Here is what I know:
It had two or three knobs only
It was not a Boss, Ibanez, MXR, Ross, DOD, etc. Nothing really common, popular, or "classic"."
It was bigger than a typical 1590, kinda wide, and I believe it was in a folded metal enclosure like a Rat or Big Muff, not a cast aluminum box. I believe the top was slanted so the back was taller than the front.
It was not colorful. I recall black knobs and the pedal itself was mostly metal (maybe stainless or aluminum? ) It was bland looking, no wild graphics or anything.
The face was flat, with the knobs right on the face.
It was not new at the time, but not vintage either. Just used. Maybe 1980s?
It had a lot of volume on tap. With the gain pretty high unity volume was like 9 o'clock with my SG running a Super Distortion humbucker. But not super high gain and definitely not a fuzz.

All I really know is what it was NOT: not a Rat, not a Klon, not a Big Muff Pi, nothing I had heard of at the time and nothing I recognized. Not a Guv'nor or any other Marshall. More like an EHX knockoff or something?

Anyone here with encyclopedic knowledge of lesser-known dirt pedals of the 1980s and early 1990s?
Did it have a tube?

nastynate

Not gold like the Rocktron, not long and skinny like the Suzz. I don't think it was an EHX, it was more compact that the old ones but bigger than the Nanos. NOT a Tube Driver.
I'm gonna hit up the database and see what I can find.

Like I said in the title, I realize this is an impossible task but it is interesting to try and if we happen to find that needle in the haystack it will be amazing!

If I could wander around Josh Scott's room for a few minutes I bet I could spot it!
There was an earlier Rocktron Austin Gold that wasn't as gold.

Terry Hayes

OP mentioned that the Fender Blender posted above is the closest so far in terms of appearance. I have been scratching my head trying to think of any pedals that had that sort of look.

2 pedals that would have likely been around at that time but don't really check all the boxes are:

Terry Hayes

These are all genuinely good guesses. I know it wasn't the full drive because I never saw an overdrive with a separate boost button until a few years ago. I know it wasnt the double muff because it was wider, shallower, and I would have recognized the name because I had played an original Big Muff and owned an EHX octave pedal at one point. EHX was a known quantity to me.
Fender Blender is a great guess, closest so far to the aesthetic.
Now imagine a cheap knockoff, like Washburn or something...
You mentioned Washburn. Could it have been this?

Dave Locher

I'm positive it was not homemade. It didn't look like a science experiment, it looked like something cheap you'd buy at the local music store because there was no internet.
It was probably some off brand unit.
The more I think about it the more I realize it sounded a LOT like my Ross Distortion. So it was probably some knockoff with a DOD 250 circuit.

Thanks for trying, everyone! Some of these pedals looked very close and a lot of them I had never seen or heard of before.

Dave Locher

I'm giving up and just assuming it was in the DOD OD250/Ross Distortion circuit family because it sounded a lot like my '80s Ross Distortion.
But everyone is welcome to keep throwing out suggestions. Even ones that can't possibly be correct! (It was not a Rat/"Was it a Rat?", it was old in 1997 "Was it this pedal that didn't come out until 1998?" etc.) We can call it the "pedals you forgot existed or never knew about" thread.

Trending Topics