• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Help me finalize, critique this board. :)

JVIOLIN

Silver Supporting Member
I decided to make smaller modular boards... I am still undecided about Fuzz, but I will get there one day. I like pedals I can see and easily adjust live!! :) Let me know what you think or if you might have any suggestions. The MLJR's and Wet are staying btw.

RMC-8 Eq Wah
(Fuzz)
Digitech Whammy
--------------------------
Snow White Auto Wah
Diamond Compressor
Subdecay Proteus
Hartman Flanger
Mjm 60's Vibe
Whetstone Phaser
Supa Tremolo
Kingsley Jester
Tc VPD1
Thru-tone Volume pedal
Sonic Research tuner
--------------------------
Cosmichorus V3
MLJR
MLJR
WET
WET
-----------------------

Gassage

Planning ahead, and thinking of distortions and muffs, you want your vol pedal to control just volume or gain and vol?

if it's the latter, I'd put it after the wahs before the compressor. I'd also put the Jester directly after the comp.

Bearing in mind the number of pedals, a buffer like the Suhr or Wampler would really help keep your signal and tone strong

:)

JVIOLIN

Silver Supporting Member
Planning ahead, and thinking of distortions and muffs, you want your vol pedal to control just volume or gain and vol?

if it's the latter, I'd put it after the wahs before the compressor. I'd also put the Jester directly after the comp.

Bearing in mind the number of pedals, a buffer like the Suhr or Wampler would really help keep your signal and tone strong

:)
I want to place my volume pedal after all drives so that the swells are saturated instead of going from clean to heavy.

I have the wah's listed before the compressor. :D

Now the Jester is one pedal of just a few I don't have yet, like the Whetstone. Why would you put it right after the comp? I was hoping to but the Hartman Flanger right after the comp.

I didn't Mention but I will be using a Lehle Sunday Driver as a buffer, and the Thrutone has a buffer as well.

Gassage

As a rule, this is the chain order:

Buffer>PitchShifters (Whammys too)>Wahs>Comps>Distortion High to low in that order>boosts/eq>vibe>all mods>trem>delay>reverb

Google thegigrig and look their site for some good tips.

JVIOLIN

Silver Supporting Member

Buffer>PitchShifters (Whammys too)>Wahs>Comps>Distortion High to low in that order>boosts/eq>vibe>all mods>trem>delay>reverb

Google thegigrig and look their site for some good tips.
Sweet.

I find the Hartman Flanger likes to be closer to the compressor.

I like to use the Supa-Trem like Bonamassa before drives...

I also Like Phase before drives but I like chorus after.

Not so caught up on the ordering of pedals... I have all the pedals listed except the Whetstone, Proteus, Jester, and "Fuzz". Also thinking of adding in an Echorec for fun.

Gassage

I agree trem before drives can work nice. I totally disagree re Phase after distortion!

Listen to Carlos Alomar c. 77 (Low especially) for an amazing phase sound- Mutron bi-phase. He ran muffs into the phaser.

JVIOLIN

Silver Supporting Member
I totally disagree re Phase after distortion!

Listen to Carlos Alomar c. 77 (Low especially) for an amazing phase sound- Mutron bi-phase. He ran muffs into the phaser.
I will have to check it out. I have a Phase 45 right now I am undecided about. Looking at the Whetstone for a slow phase, but I also really like the Mad Professor as well!!

Ron

Silver Supporting Member

Why "Distortion high to low in that order"?

Let's say you have two pedals, one a clean to mild OD ("A"), and another a mild to heavy OD ("B"). With B before A, sound will be mostly B boosted to a louder volume. With A before B, you might drive B hard enough to get a new distortion sound. For that reason I've always put the lower gain pedals first.

Such ordering is just a rule of thumb to start, there are well known violators, such as EVH using a phaser, delay and EQ ahead of the distortion, then more EQ and delay after the distortion. Others suggest placing a tremolo pedal ahead of the distortion. A second rule of thumb is to try different placements after you initially set up your board before cementing the pedals in place.

L3V17e

Why "Distortion high to low in that order"?

Let's say you have two pedals, one a clean to mild OD ("A"), and another a mild to heavy OD ("B"). With B before A, sound will be mostly B boosted to a louder volume. With A before B, you might drive B hard enough to get a new distortion sound. For that reason I've always put the lower gain pedals first.
I agree with Ron here...

Ron

Silver Supporting Member
On the other hand I've been playing with OD pedal order and discovered that the "heavy" OD just gets saturated and more compressed when driven by the "light" OD or clean boost. My rule of thumb now is to try them both ways and let your ears decide. On my current large p'board, I have so many ODs that I have a lot of choices for pedal order. I just picked up an Xotic BB Gain + and AC Gain + and like the idea of a switch that alters the order of each half. I think the earlier poster was more correct: usually it's better for the "heavy" OD to be first, but not always.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom