Help me find a delay that fits this...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by johnnyelgato, Feb 19, 2015.

1. johnnyelgato

johnnyelgato Member

Hey what's cheap(ish) size a a regular single pedal, sounds good, can save at least 4 patches, and has tap tempo (can be external), and run off my voodoo labs pedal power plus ( no wall warts).

I want to take my boss dd-20 of my board I use delay in front of my amp (old fenders don't have fx loops!) just want something smaller that'll get the job done. Was almost thinking a line 6 m5 or something to save room and get multiple day sounds. I'm outta the loop with delays. Doesn't have to be uber botique like a strymon!

Thanks for any suggestions and help!

2. sputnikshell

sputnikshell Member

A hardwire DL-8 has a lot of modes on it that could maybe match the some of the DD-20, but no presets. A EHX Memory boy is small and sounds great. A Boss DD-7 is probably the best of the bunch, you may need an external foot switch for it though. Diamond Memory Lane Delay and a JHS Panther Delay both have internal tap tempo and both sound amazing but size and price could be a factor. A personal favorite of mine is the Ibanez DE-7 Delay Echo, but it's almost impossible to find a new one these days. It's up to you what delay you want to get though. Spend some quality time and watch some video demos online and make an informed decision. Hope this helps.

*Edit* - Almost forgot, MXR Carbon Copy Delay might also be worth looking into.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  3. johnnyelgato

johnnyelgato Member

Any other suggestions? I'd like something smaller with the ability to save multiple delay settings? Do they make a dedicated delay that does that, or am I shopping for a small multi effects unit at this point?

4. papersun

papersun Member

I read the first sentence of your post and thought, gee golly, I think the DD-20 is right up his alley!

Presets is the kicker there, it's hard to find many delays that are both small and offer them. The TC Nova Delay can be modded for external preset rotation and it's smaller than the DD-20, but it's 12v and 300mA, which makes it tough for your PP2+. I think the Empress Tape Delay lets you set presets and then use the tap switch to rotate between them . . . but 280mA, again, means it won't jive with your PP2+.

May wanna just stick with the DD-20, dude.

5. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Zoom MS-70CDR maybe? It's only one I can think of that seems to fit your list.

Also has chorus and reverbs plus many others that you can program.

Some of the factory presets can sound a little sterile, at least to my ears, but get in and program your own and it can sound pretty good.

6. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

This.
    But OP will need to do some tricks with that power supply since it's very archaic for most modern digital pedals.

7. DG_Griffin

DG_Griffin Member

I use an M5 for exactly what you're describing. You also get more than 4 presets and a lot more toys to play with if you need them. The delays are excellent IMO.

Facebook.com/FTRband

8. lhama

lhama Member

9. jordane93

jordane93 Member

10. porticoguitar1

porticoguitar1 Member

Is an M5 really that much smaller of a footprint than the DD-20? Overall, I mean height and depth both considered? I had one but can't remember the scale.