Help me find a good neck on a 58 or 59 LP

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Ian S, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Ian S

Ian S Member

I'm selling my class 5 on ebay and, possibly, my BB LP... and I'd like to get a 58 or 59 RI. I'd like a bat neck, but what's a good year for a RI 58 LP, neck wise? Any help appreciated. Is there much variation year to year, 2000-2005? I once played a plaintop (circa Jan 2001) that was amazing... any thoughts? Thanks.

-Ian

2. Tapp

Tapp Member

I played a few LP's this past weekend and I came to the conclusion that I like the '59 historics best. The '58's are chunkier and I usually like a chunky neck (my main guitar is a Nocaster relic). From what I was told the progression of years brought slimmer profiles.

Tapp

3. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

I just sold an 05 R8.......actually I bought 5 of them from Guitar Denters @ their Memorial Day sale. The 05 had the baseball neck you are looking for.The others 4 06's were thinner necks...not much but thinner:BEER

4. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

My 01 R8 is nearly perfect for me, and I prefer thicker necks.

5. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Member

I have an '04 R8. The neck is very thick. It measures the same as the thickest necks Gibson produced on original '58's (according to the neck specs given on a bunch of original '58's given in Beauty of the 'Burst). Nonetheless, it's fairly comfortable to my hands. It is also an amazing-sounding guitar, especially after installing Lollar Imperials and an RS deluxe electronics kit. Sounds every bit as good as my Grosh Set Neck (but for a lot less money).

6. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

7. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

Wow Ian, my advice isn't good enough? You have finally found my source. Get a 58 and quit being a p)$$y. :D

8. Thwap

Thwap Member

Good advice...:D If you like a big neck, you can't go wrong with an R8.

9. JustAHack

JustAHack Member

The '59s have the stuff. Big, but round. Soft shoulders, not square shoulders.

I love big necks, but they have to be ROUND. That's playability, for me.

The "flat" necks on some Gibsons drive me crazy, regardless of thickness.

10. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Senior Member

I had a '01 R8 and I thought the neck was kinda thin.

Not even close to my R7, which is HUGE.

11. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

58's & 57's usually have the bigger necks. However, just like anything else...there are variances. I've seen R8's heavier than R7's, and vise versa. Overall...they are going to be thicker than the normal LP neck. Some are more baseball bat than others and playing them, or having a respected dealer tell you, is the only way to tell.

12. Ian S

Ian S Member

Thanks all for the info!

-Ian

BTW - Calloway, wanna buy a 57 custom? Big neck there... :) .. on sale:horse

13. SFK

SFK Member

I do. ;)

14. Calloway

That guitar has your name all over it Special! I don't think he is selling it now, he's looking at getting one built by Lowel Guitars in Findlay. The guy is building me a two pickup SG Custom right now that is going to be just sick. I'll be in town around x mas and I hook up w/ you so that you can check it out! Hope things are well... Get any new toys?:D

15. SFK

SFK Member

Cool! What color SG? (White?) That'll be 'kickin'.

16. Calloway

Yeah it's white. It's going to have a translucent finish so you can see the grain on it. I'm having him make the body a touch thicker because the neck is going to be like my Goldtop, thick and round, ebony board, chrome hardware. I'll send you some pics when I get it, should be done by the end of Aug. or so. This guy does some killer refinish work as well, but his guitars are really interesting. You can find him on my sig. and one of his guitars is featured on the Bumbox site, he built one for Nate.

17. MarcJ

MarcJ Member

I just got my VOS R9 a few days ago. I really dig the neck, and it's just like JustAHack described in his post, big but round, with nice rounded shoulders. In just a few days I've begun to like it better than my '75 Norlin Standards' thinner neck.

18. 59model

59model Member

I just got a new 58 plaintop from Centre City Music, and the neck is a club, just the way I like it. Similar to my 57 Jr. Some dealers will call you when they get a really big neck as a lot of folks don`t like them. Sal will do this like he did for me. Good luck, I LOVE fat necks!

19. ThePoignants

ThePoignants Member

Would shaving the neck down destroy the value/collectibility of an R7,8, or 9?

20. Guitarist

Guitarist Member

Absolutely.