Help me find a killer head for clean tones

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fearhk213, Mar 25, 2008.

1. fearhk213

fearhk213 Member

I'm considering picking up a head for some killer clean tones, but I'm not sure where to start since I haven't played many of the greats. One thing I can say is I lean towards a BF-esque tone with good dynamics. The two best I've personally played thus far is an OD100. I may pickup a used OD100 just for those hauntingly good cleans, but I kind of want to try something I've never had before so I was curious what you all would suggest I check out first?

My only requirements are:
    -It's got to be a head
    -Has to have the headroom to hang with a 100 watt head, but have the ability to dial some dirt (I guess I could use a dirt pedal if it was an absolutely stunning clean amp, but all else being equal I'd prefer not to).

Thanks,
    Frank

2. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Tampa, on the Territory of Florida (D.C. Free Zone
  3. es125luv

es125luv Member

I've got a 2006 Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse 50-watt head for SALE!!!

It's got reverb, trem, $300 custom fitted ATA flight case, and is hand-wired!!!

It loves pedals as well.

This thing has SPARKLING CLEANS + SOME DIRT IF DESIRED BY USING THE HARMONIC BOOST SWITCH!!!

This thing fits with what you are looking for, and can DEFINATELY hang with any amp you can throw at it.

I have had little use for it, as I use a Maz JR now and really do not gig any where, and just play at home.

[​IMG]

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

i'm sure steve carr could cook you up something.

5. edward

edward Supporting Member

Caution: Mesa recommendation alert!!!

Mark III Simul Head ...Green stripe will get you extra headroom over the other incarnations. Beautiful cleans from spank to "Fendery-chime" (yeah I know, I know, but it's true), and lots of tonal versatility so dialing in a bit o' crunch is easy. You will have NO problems keeping up with a 100 watter.

BTW, you may never use the Lead channel, but if you need it that searing Boogie lead tone is only a footswitch away.

Edward

6. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Komet 60 with a pair of blackplates...then watch the goosebumps arise on your arms and the hair on the back of your neck stand up as you get enveloped in 3D tone to the bone ;).

7. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

How bout a Fender?

dk

8. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

That Guytron in the Emporium. BEAUTIFUL cleans.

SICK:messedup
    price!!

Emee

9. ryhlick

ryhlick Supporting Member

How about a Pure 64 with 6L6 bottles. :)

10. eliot1025

eliot1025 Supporting Member

Try to audition a Dr. Z KT-45. It's the Z with the most clean headroom. It's rich and warm with chimey sweet highs. It's a punchy amp in the general neighborhood of an A.C. 30 and a Hiwatt, but with gobs of harmonic content. Breaks up very late, but when it does it's fantastic. There's a clip of it's break-up tones on the Z site under discontinued amps. The cleans are just as gorgeous. It's worth seeking out. Unusual front end - after twelve o'clock or so, the bass and treble controls become gain controls for those frequencies. So, you can dial in highs that crunch with a clean bottom, or crunchy lows with clear sparkling treble and any combination thereof. This is a tone monster.

It has extremely responsive dynamics and it just inhales pedals.

It's a conservatively rated 45 watts - sounds like 60 watts of many other amps.

11. MrDoty

MrDoty Supporting Member

dude get a dual showman. they are cheap and prevelant.

12. fearhk213

fearhk213 Member

Thanks for the suggestions ya'll. Keep 'um coming.

The two that jumped out at me were the Pure 64 and the Komet 60. I've never heard any Komet 60 clips, but I didn't know they were known for their cleans. About all I know about them is they supposedly have killer overdrive and are brutally loud. Do these not break up early or is this something that's controllable depending on how you set the amp up?

13. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

14. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Silver Supporting Member

I just sold a Mesa LSC head without the 10 watt option for $950.00 (its got 4 6L6's but you can run EL-34's or 6V6's, too).

For that money, its a killer amp. It doesn't sound as good as my Carr Slant 6V, but you're talking about 1/2 the cost (used).

15. karmadave

karmadave Member

16. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

I have not found an amp that could beat teh Bruno's cleans.

17. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Both the Pure '64 and Komet 60 are great amps...but they are different. Yes, the Komet 60 is loud by the time it breaks up but the clean to overdrive tones from the guitar's volume control are amazing. With EL34's the amp leans in the Marshall direction while 6L6's leans the amp in the Fender direction...but both with the signature Trainwreck character blended in. There are lots of clips of the amp on Komet's website http://www.kometamps.com .

The Pure '64 is more in the traditional Fender heritage but has the flexibility of the curve switch which can lean the amp in a few different directions. Not as loud as a Komet but the best pedal eater amp I've played...they just melt into the amp.

18. ROKY

ROKY Member

Good call ! I have one and it really delivers the goods.

Oh, and don't forget the Hiwatts .. I have one of those too and
    it is amazing for cleans as well as crunch.

19. rhythmrocker

rhythmrocker 1966 Battle of the Bands Supporting Member

SF Bassman blackfaced to AA864 or Ampeg V2 heads. They are fun to have worked on and have that vintage vibe!

20. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Heritage Colonial designed by Paul C. of Tim and Timmy fame. Used around $1100-1300.00 Loudest cleanest 50 watts I`ve ever played,on par w/ Hiwatt amps. Ability to use almost any power tubes,has both solid state and tube rectifier, and can be voiced UK or US or combined. Real sleeper in the amp mkt.