help me find a lighter weight practice (combo) amp

twitch

I have, and love, a Rivera Suprema 55 combo amp. I believe they weigh 70 pounds. Looks like our band is going into a new practice space in which I will have to bring my won amp back and forth. Don't want to be hauling this beast around everytime we practice. Also would like the price range to be no higher than $750, or a stretch to $1,000, and no more than 50 pounds would be great.

Music is pretty much rock/blues with maybe a country feel. I play a Driskill and a Melancon, both with P-90's, and also recently got a Gretsch 6120, so there is a little rockabilly/twang I am looking for as well.

Maybe a Vox or a Fender Hot Rod?

Appreciate anyones feedback.

b80

Fender Blues Deluxe or Hot Rod Deluxe. Used you could find a Deluxe Reverb or Deville for that price.

wrxplayer

Silver Supporting Member
I have, and love, a Rivera Suprema 55 combo amp. I believe they weigh 70 pounds. Looks like our band is going into a new practice space in which I will have to bring my won amp back and forth. Don't want to be hauling this beast around everytime we practice. Also would like the price range to be no higher than $750, or a stretch to $1,000, and no more than 50 pounds would be great.

Music is pretty much rock/blues with maybe a country feel. I play a Driskill and a Melancon, both with P-90's, and also recently got a Gretsch 6120, so there is a little rockabilly/twang I am looking for as well.

Maybe a Vox or a Fender Hot Rod?

Appreciate anyones feedback.
Alessandro makes great combos at 35 lbs. D-Town guitars in Doylestown often has his used amps, which run <$1K. That should be a reasonably short drive for you.

sa1126

Silver Supporting Member
Vox Ac15 would absolutely fit the bill and come in way under your price range.

ksandvik

One sleeper unit is a used Marshall JCM900 combo. Mine weights 42lbs. If you get a MkIII, it's basically a JCM800 with an additional diode grain stage that you could key out with the second gain knob. Classic Marshall sound from the combo.... Add another cab and you could kill a bigger stage with the sound.

...now I usually take a Fender SuperChamp to practices as there's no need to kill everyone in the practice room with sound levels. That one is below 30lbs.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
I'm very partial to the Egnater Tweaker 40 . You can get Vox, Fender or Marshall tones . 2 channels and a very good fx loop...

Chicago Slim

Vox TB18C1. It runs 6V6's, uses all plywood construction, with a closed back, and weighs 39 lbs. It's a pretty big amp, slightly taller than a Hotrod Deluxe (I use a Deluxe amp cover). I replaced the Celestion G12-65 with an Eminence Lil' Texas Speaker. This gave me more volume, and dropped the weight to 36 lbs.

Trending Topics