Help me find a overdrive (slide and solo)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Hugo123, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Hugo123

Hugo123 Member

I was listening to Meat Loaf Bat out of Hell Live, love the dvd. And Mercury Blues came up. I also love the song. De sound of the guitarist on the left struck me, i loved it. How can i get this sound. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iuau5JRSoQM here is a link the aforementioned solo is at 2:51. I was thinking about a tubescreamer, is that right? I play through a strat into a AC30.
    Thanks!

2. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Can't access the video in the U.S. "The uploader has not made this video available in your country".

That said, I tried my old (1983) TS9 Tubescreamer through an original 60's AC30 at a jam session, and it sounded beyond wonderful. Even if it doesn't fit exactly what you're looking to reproduce, you owe it to yourself to try it.

And not all Tube Screamers are alike. The TS9 reissue doesn't do much for me, and has the wrong chip.

The TS808 reissue sounds pretty close to my original, and I'd recommend it, though it won't punch the front end of your amp as hard as the original TS9.

The Maxon OD9 is a dead-ringer for my old TS9, and even has true bypass switching.

The Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive has some GREAT Tube Screamer tones, plus it has a clean mix knob to add back in some clean - very cool, like playing a distorted and clean amp together.

The Maxon OD808 sounds nice, but IMO, the Ibanez TS808 reissue is a little warmer, more organic.

Another neat trick with Tube Screamers is to use them in conjunction with a clean boost pedal, like a Keeley Katana. Put the clean boost first in line and it adds saturation and sustain to the tube screamer, but doesn't sound artificial like using a compressor. Put the clean boost after the Tube Screamer and it both boosts the volume, and makes the Tube Screamer more dynamic & touch sensitive. Experiment with both.

Then there are the mods...