Help me find a replacement for my rare "Vintage" Fender pick

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Zelja, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Zelja

Zelja Member

Well I assume it's rare because this guy is charging $25 for one!

[​IMG]http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-GUITAR-PICKS-FENDER-RED-NYLON-PICK_W0QQitemZ250158273719QQihZ015QQcategoryZ20831QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

I have had my pick (a 0.73mm) for over 10 years at least & it does sound better than any others I have tried. I can hear more difference with changing picks than with some pickups I have swapped. I like it much better than celluloid picks.

My second favourite is probaly the Dunlop Standard Nylon but this "vinatge" Fender pick sounds better to me. Crisper. I am assuming it's due to the smooth texture. Has anybody tried the Dunlop Nylon Glow or the Dava Control or the Herco Nylons? All are nylon picks that seem to be smooth rather than slightly dimpled like the Dunlop Standard Nylons. I'll probably just end up buying these to try but if anyone has any experiences with these it woukd be good to know.

Better yet, anyone got a source for these "vintage" picks but without the price tag? Cheers.

2. R_S_G_7

R_S_G_7 Member

I know what you mean about picks drastically affecting sound. I have been using Dunlop Ultex picks they sound similar to what you are describing. They are crisp, clear and tend to make every single guitar sound better.

they are not a $25 pick but they are far better than anything else i have used.

Cheers

3. Zelja

Zelja Member

Cool, thanks. I'll check those out. Yeah, while we all spend heaps on effects, NOS tubes etc, little things like picks can make a huge difference. Cables as well, which I found out yesterday.

To clarify, I think I paid about 25 cents for my Fender Nylon over a decade ago. Haven't been able to find them in stores here in Australia since & I was rather shocked when I saw this one on ebay for $25.95! I wonder how much it'll be worth if I hold onto mine for another 20 years.:rolleyes:

4. jstone

jstone Member

Dunlop replaced my Fender picks around 20 years ago. Today I only play Jazz III but most other nylon picks are good sounding to me.

5. GrooveMerchant

GrooveMerchant Member

I checked out some of the other picks they have for sale. Some of the artist's picks are $40 for a Bonnie Raitt, and $60 for a Clapton!

6. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

can you imagine the listing fees for over 400 picks at 25 bucks a pop none of which are going to sell except for the one to the guy who started this post? there are dandrea .88 picks 25 buck i can get those same exact picks at a local shop that has had them for years.i know for a fact becasue I bought them when they did not have the green tortex. what a rip off

7. Zelja

Zelja Member

Oh, I won't be buying these for$25.95!