Help me find a replacement neck for MIM Strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by pennylink, Jun 18, 2008.

1. pennylink

pennylink Member

I have a 2002 MIM Standard Strat with poplar body/maple neck. I’ve been happy with it since upgrading the pickups to a Kinman Blues set and installing a Callaham block. The frets are starting to wear though, and I thought I might replace the neck rather than finding a tech to do a fret job.

• Who do you guys use for replacement necks?
    • Do all necks made for Fender Strats fit MIM Strats?
    • Does the nut usually come installed and cut?
    • What type of neck would you get?
    Any other suggestions or recommendations would also be appreciated. I live in the UK, but have no problem ordering from the US if needed.

2. pennylink

pennylink Member

3. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

I have a 93 MIM strat. I replaced the neck with a Warmoth. The fit was so tight that I could pick it up by the neck without any screws! I would look at Warmoth or USACG for a replacement neck.

4. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

I'm in the exact same situation as you are, so I'd appreciate answers to those questions as well. Here's what I've found out in my research so far. There are certainly TGP'ers with abundantly more experience in this particular area than I have, so y'all please chime in and correct me if I go wrong.

I've been looking at necks from USA Custom Guitars, MusiKraft, Guitarmill, Warmoth, and Allparts. I'm leaning toward MusiKraft or Guitarmill because they do the nitro finish that I want on my neck.

As far as I know, the neck pocket size is standard, so any strat replacement neck should fit your MIM strat, as long as it's a 4 bolt neck rather than a 3 bolt. TGP'ers, please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Most necks seem to come with the nut installed and cut as standard, but you can order it without a nut and do that yourself if you like.

As far as the type of neck, this is highly subjective, but mine will be somewhat similar to the one on the Eric Johnson signature strat - quartersawn maple with maple fingerboard, "soft-V" neck profile, 12" radius, satin nitro finish with vintage tint.

5. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I assume that you don't care if it's an aftermarket neck. If that's true, then Carvin makes some fine bolt on strat-style necks that they sell for half the price of other replacement necks of comparable quality. Neck-thru ones too. Very consistent as far as quality and playability are concerned. Anybody who's ever played a Carvin neck would agree. Also, I assume Warmoth is still in the replacement neck business. I got a '65 Strat-style neck from them about 15 years ago that I used to replace the neck on my 1988 '68 Reissue (I think the guitar was built in Japan). I was a big SRV fan back in the late 80's, and I swear I managed to wear holes into the original neck, and also completely bowed the thing inside of 4 years (I used 013's on it and played really hard and heavy; a lot of big bends and heavy vibrato). The replacement neck I put on the guitar was shaped like a baseball bat. I miss that neck a lot. I lost the Strat to a pawn shop back in the late '90's. Oh, the regrets.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  6. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

yes they do. But they are almost the same price as a finished neck from Warmoth. Don't get me wrong. I love the MIM Deluxe neck with its 12 radius and jumbo frets. It's a very poor man's EJ neck. But for almost the same price I could get a Warmoth, I'll go Warmoth.

7. pennylink

pennylink Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've checked them out and non-Fender necks are more appealing to me at this point because of all the options that are available (stainless frets, different fretboard radius, etc.)

What do you guys do with the headstock when installing an aftermarket neck such as Warmoth.... leave it blank or do you get a Fender logo/stencil somewhere?