Help me find American-made guitars for our shop

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Dave P, Dec 20, 2007.

1. cvansickle

cvansickle Silver Supporting Member

2. devinb

devinb Member

I'd definitely go G&L...even if you do the Tribute line the electronics are still American made for what it's worth...might be an easier sales pitch with Leo in it too...

3. Caretaker

Caretaker Gold Supporting Member

I would suggest also getting some Yamaha and Ibanez guitars. Great value and quality. Not US made, but they are set up here before they are shipped to you. You need affordable guitars to make it.

4. Dave P

Dave P Member

I explained who all these guitar companies are to the band dudes and we kicked around your suggestions as we started counting inventory this weekend.

The issue that limits what I can do is our business model. We don't offer or ever have buyers ask for used gear. 99% of guitar sales are to beginners. The amp line is geared to make the soccer moms happy with low "noise" levels in the bedroom. We have a "B" sized GC 14 miles from us and an older, well-established indie guitar store 14 miles on the other side of us that handles many of the lines you all have suggested. The owner doesn't want to carry lines that either offer, and we need to be sure we keep the prices low enough to move inventory. If I carried Reverend (which the owner considered before hiring me) we'd only sell 4 or 5 instruments a year. We don't have serious players come in (at least not yet) because we're known for our band instrument sales and repairs.

I've sold 20 Samick and Crafter electrics and 15 acoustics in 45 days because they setup really well and go out the door under $400. That's what makes the owner happy.

We will definitely do the t-shirt thing! I'm going to look into Godin and see what I can find out about their dealer requirements. Thanks again.

5. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

The nice thing with going Godin for acoustics is that you can stock a wide variety of brands that are all good quality in a variety of affordable price ranges..

Norman, La Patrie, Simon & Patrick, Seagull, Art & Lutherie...all from Godin Guitars

6. FFTT

FFTT Member

Grosh builds fine quality guitars.
    Also St. Blues is getting ready to re-locate their facility from Korea back to the USA.
    +10 on Larrivee and Music Man

7. scottlr

scottlr Member

Maybe consider your own line of partocasters? Then you can use US made parts and build em yourself and charge whatever you need to make a profit.

8. mwoeppel

mwoeppel Member

Yikes. under $400 out the door. The pretty much blows out every made in USA guitar. At that price point, consider USA brands that have offshore manufacturing, like the USA automakers (very little of the product is made in USA).

Carvin, Schecter, PRS (a bit of a stretch)

9. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Rickenbacker

US-made only, small family-owned business (despite their famous name and decades of tradition) and they're going to have an updated model range out this year apparently.

10. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Member

11. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

One last thought.

your

12. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Oops... Let me try again... Hit the wrong button...

You have given us a great understanding of your clientele. Godin would be a great US(and Canada)-made brand for you. I've had three, I LOVE 'em.

But consider that if you brought in just one or two really high-end lines, and did a little leg-work, that they might sell themselves. I don't know how easy it would be to get a dealership for Anderson or Suhr or Grosh, but if you could, you might get word out on the web, and you might get people driving great distances to you! What really high-end lines do your local competitors sell?

But that might not be your cup of tea...