Help me find an amp for aggressive indie/rock. JMP 100w not thrilling me.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Iceman, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Iceman

Iceman Member

All right, well, currently I use a '78 JMP and I'm finding it not to my liking for the current band I'm in. The gain structure is a little too dirty (not too much gain, but moreso too gritty and unsmooth) and seems to have a lack of low-mid thickness. I have tried boosting with both an RC Booster and Maxon OD-9 and it's just not thrilling me.

So, I'm gassing for a new amp. I'm looking for a smoother high-gain sound(not metal, but just big, chunky, and percussive), an amp with a good clean channel (or responds well to roll-back), and can handle the range of pedals between boosts, mods, and delays. I know it's vague, but help a guy out!

Regards,
    Daniel

2. Belmont

Belmont Member

you'll regret getting rid of that JMP,low mid chunk is what Marshalls do best,the amp you're describing is the one you own,I'd take it to a reputable tech and get it checked out,sounds like somethings wrong with it.

3. Iceman

Iceman Member

I'll definitely look into a retubing first...Whether it be recorded or just in a room, it just doesn't seem to have a thickness or girth comparable to say a mesa or 5150 (granted that's way more gain than I need, but the low end is there regardless).

4. Keld

Keld Member

The Elmwoods are great if that's in your price range. Or something from Orange perhaps, like a Rockerverb or Thunderverb.

5. hamfist

hamfist Member

You, sir, need an Orange Rockerverb 50 or 100.

6. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

A bad sounding JMP!!. . now Ive heard everything. . :agree

7. tone slave

tone slave Member

Marshall amps have more of a high mid thing going on, at least all the ones I've ever played. That's what I love about marshalls.

Sounds to me like you're describing a Bogner Ecstacy Classic. Low mid thickness? Check. Smooth high gain? Check. Good clean channel? Check. Pedals? Check. Plus, it cuts through a mix perfectly, and as thick as it sounds, it's not at all muddy-- you can hear everything with perfect clarity. Orange amps are also pretty thick sounding, but in my experience (the other guitarist in my old band used an Orange) they can get pretty muddy. They are damn sexy though, and have a lot of indie rock cred, so I guess a lot of people like them well enough.

8. Iceman

Iceman Member

I didn't say it sounded bad, just not to my liking for the music I play. Plus, I wouldn't be getting rid of it...Just buying something else.

9. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Yeah, I agree with you. I'd also suggest a Mesa Roadster, Carvin Legacy (if you're on a tight budget), or something from Budda.

10. vchizzle

vchizzle Supporting Member

+1
    But this is the reason I don't like them much. I like a lower mid thing going on also.

Bogner
    Budda
    Orange rocker/verb series
    VHT

Those amps are all a little lower mid based. As for models, it depends on what your needs are.

Edit: a Mesa stiletto might be up your alley too.

11. alaskagrown

alaskagrown Member

Do you want a channel switcher, or does it matter? A Hiwatt or Reeves and some pedals will do you nicely. I think Hiwatts are the pinnacle of the aggressive indie rock sound... Loud, clear and articulate, and just a little dirty. Throw an overdrive pedal on there and you've got your chunk.

12. bartmcartman

bartmcartman Supporting Member

What speakers are you using with your JMP?

13. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

Indie rock like ... who? What budget are you looking at? Do you just want a head? -E

14. Iceman

Iceman Member

We pull influence from bands like Circa Survive, In Reverent Fear, Rage Against the Machine, etc...Basically a heavy rock/indie band with big choruses.

15. Iceman

Iceman Member

2 channel could be cool, but I've been making single channel work as is, so it's not a deal breaker.

16. Iceman

Iceman Member

V30s

17. ROKY

ROKY Member

I only sold my '78 JMP Super Lead a few yrs ago because I needed the $$.

Get some pedals(there's a ton out there..) - that's a great amp !

If you don't like the V30s(many don't..) try other speakers

18. pitbull45

pitbull45 Member

If your JMP is loaded with EL34's load it with some 6550's, the low end will be fuller and tighter

It will need a resistor change and re-bias so unless you are savy, be sure to have a tech do it

19. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

I don't think I'd cite those bands as "indie," although they may well be on indie labels--you might get guys like me telling you how to sound like Wilco, Superchunk, Yo La Tengo, etc. :hide -E