Help me find an amp for my college dorm

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by brettmoor, Mar 26, 2007.

1. teleking36

teleking36 Member

There are a number of great low wattage combos with MVs that would do the trick. One that comes to mind is the Peavey Classic 20. It's gotta be one of the best out there for its size and versatility. Does good cleans and even better OD, with a nice EQ, Headphone Out, Speaker out (if you wanna run it through a 2x12/4x12). I still don't understand why Peavey discontinued them. They'd be easily outselling all the Pro Juniors and Blues Juniors out there.

FWIW, I had a number of amps throughout college. The first three years at Manhattan, I had a Fender Vibroverb Reissue, Classic 20, HR Deville, and a Vox Brian May Special. Senior year I had my Mesa Maverick 4x10 as my main dorm room and gigging amp, and didn't have any problems with volume control or noise complaints. All these amps (except for the Vibroverb) had MV so it made it easy to dial in tones and keep the volume under control.

Good luck at NYU! You're gonna love it. I'm trying to get back there, after foolishly leaving it after college. It's a great city with TONS of stuff going on.

2. tonepolice

tonepolice Member

Kathmandu, Nepal in the middle of the Himalayan mo
    Hi

Just get a Fender G-DEC modeling amp and buy a pair of headphones. You wont regret it and its the best amp for your college dorm situation.

3. pjwill

pjwill Silver Supporting Member

If your not on a limited budget and want legit Blackface tones at whisper volumes, my vote goes for the Princeton Recording Amp. Downright killer Blackface tone, lots of flexibilty, great attenuator, more refined tone. The real deal. built in OD and compressor are adequate, not great. Great grab and go to the college jam sessions.

[​IMG]

Only one problem in a college dorm....the vent on top is open to allow anything sitting on top of the amp to fall right down on to the circuit board...as in spilled beer...ouch.

4. nolenuttt

nolenuttt Gold Supporting Member

Marshall half-stack and an attenuator........:)

5. adamg

adamg Member

I have an Emery Microbaby head that I would be willing to sell (have decided to go the Jazz route). It is a half watt head (or 2 watts depending on the tube) that I purchased on an impulse here on TGP. It can use a variety of input and pre-amp tubes for different sounds. Using a Mazda 6V6 into a bogner cab sounds like a cranked Marshall at loud television volume (you can speak over it). It also has a nice low volume clean sound.

www.emerysound.com/

I would sell for what I paid $450 plus shipping...

In any event have fun in your search.

Regards,

Adam

6. PaulE

PaulE Supporting Member

Suhr Badger and a Bogner cube.
    You can practice quietly or hang with a band with it without tonal compromise.Great size and weight too.

7. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

x10...that's EXACTLY what I'd do!! With the OD pedal you can have the volume wherever you need it!!!

Cool place to go to school...have fun !!!!

8. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

I wouldn't be scared to take a 5 watt tube amp and use my volume..... but, I'd also suggest:

Crate Powerblock
    an attenuator
    small cab
    your Z

first of all, cheap.... then you've got a headphone out and you can crank your Z into the Powerblock w/ the attenuator for either headphone or cab.... lot's of options there and the Powerblock isn't bad on it's own.... I never thought I'd say that, but I've been using one at rehearsals for a couple of weeks...very impressed at that money.

9. asdf

asdf Member

Weird- mine is an old silverface and I find it to be very harsh sounding cranked without a very smooth OD pedal to even it out. Is yours tweed or blackface or silverface?

10. armanHammer

armanHammer Member

You know, I think it's hilarious that the original poster made a very specific request for an amp.. and just about EVERY type of amp has been mentioned.

11. XKnight

XKnight Member

Isn't that exactly what happens for every question asked on this board...........

12. armanHammer

armanHammer Member

Excellent point... there oughta be a rule against starting any new amp suggestion threads.. the topic has been worn out.

13. XKnight

XKnight Member

:) What would we discuss then?:)

14. armanHammer

armanHammer Member

Psh.. amp mods? How to get the most out of the amp you already have?

15. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

Well guys I work as a caretaker in student res at a large University and one thing you DO NOT want is an expensive piece of gear because things do and will go missing .

I own one myself and would strongly suggest a Roland Cube 30 with a headphones out . You have amp modeling and effects as well , they are a decent little amp build and sound wise and do they cost a lot .

16. epluribus

epluribus Member

Ditto. Haven't played the Roland, but the notion of a modelling rig with a headset-out is a good one, IMHO. Then you can play whatever amp voice you want in the dorm room, at any hour of the night, but you can still pull the 'phones and take the amp to a gig, and it's all in one box. The reviled CyberTwin (130W) does that exceedingly well. (Also cheap on EBay cuz of the evil rep.)

BTW, playing a first-class small tube rig is a wonderful idea, but IMHO dialing down the volume enough to be dorm-friendly is like watering down a great cup of coffee--all that hard-won tone just dies at those levels. jm2c, of course.

--Ray

17. empty71

empty71 Member

Do yourself a favor and check out the Gries 5 combo.

It's got a huge clean headroom despite the low wattage.

www.griesamps.com