Help me find an amp for this songlist

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by geoangus, Feb 18, 2008.

1. geoangus

geoangus Member

It looks like the boys and I will be doing a reunion type thing, one of us is nearing 50. I think I'll need an amp. Tube driven, 40 watts ought to cover the power requirements. Budget around a grand. Guitar is an Anderson Hollow Classic

Song list features Elvis, The Beatles up to Revolver, 60's-70's Stones, Creedence, Led Zeppelin, 60's Who, 70's Aerosmith, Staxx Records, Van Morrison, Little Feat, Thin Lizzy, Queen (Tie Your Mother Down), Squeeze, Joe Jackson, Police, Cheap Trick, Elvis Costello, Pretenders, Clash, Green Day and others. (any songs over 3 minutes and we can't remember who we are). No hair band stuff, but occassional moshing is fun.

I'd like it to be pedal friendly, but preferably not a multi-channel amp. I don't know if one amp could do it all, but would love to hear your suggestions. I'm kind of leaning towards boutique (Top Hat Club Royale or Club Deluxe) or maybe Victoria or Carr. Maybe just go safe and pick up a vintage Fender or Marshall combo.

Go ahead and have fun with my $$. Thanks

2. RDM

RDM Senior Member

You just described a Bassman LTD.

3. Troser

Troser Member

Marshall JCM 800; use the pregain low for the cleaner stuff, and add preamp/drop master volume for the grittier stuff. It will do it all. That Bassman won't touch Thin Lizzy/Sykes, Green Day, or Aerosmith. It will cop the other tones with excellence, and the heavier tones too, with a couple of different guitars (Strat and Les Paul, for instance), or some switching between neck and bridge pickups, and a twist of the tone knob.

The Bassman is a clean amp, jangly amp, and blues amp... it doesn't crunch or rock like a Marshall; just doesn't do it... an entirely different tone.

4. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't Supporting Member

Soldano SLO?

A good one channel amp and a volume control will get you all of these tones.

Matt

5. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Around a grand? What about something like a Ceriatone or a used AC30?

6. betterdays

betterdays Member

7. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

lot of british bands there,infact 3/4.......british amp or british style

8. Rock72

Rock72 Member

I would suggest a Budda Superdrive II, either 18 or 30w, both with EL-84s. The 30w is very loud and would work well in a band situation.

9. JEMT

JEMT Member

I've to second an AC30 or a variation (you mentioned Top Hat). Get a nice dirt pedal or two and you've got most of the ground covered.

10. BigPapiFan

BigPapiFan Member

Fender Super Reverb?

11. Zim

Zim Member

AC30 sounds like a good fit to me too.

One of the guys in my band uses one, and he gets great cleans to dirt out of it, no pedals. Just a Tele and a Les Paul and a cable.

12. geoangus

geoangus Member

wow, i never really thought of our list as being brit. Could be the stuff I like most; I could have thrown in REM, Gin Blossoms & Toad the Wet Sprocket for a little more Americana.

Vox and or TopHat sure has me gassing. Just missed what looked like a nice club royale on e-bay, but I'm sure another will come along.

13. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Neither the Club Deluxe or Club Royal are 40 watts (clean). More like 18-20 watts. Let me know if 20 watts will do it for you as I may have something you would like.

14. guitarman_nebr

guitarman_nebr Supporting Member

Vox AC30 with a Boss CS-3, an Xotic AC Booster, and an Xotic BB Preamp in the input.

a chorus and delay in the loop........

could be done for under a grand and this rig covers everything up to metal and sounds great doing it!!

15. Mitchybang

Mitchybang Member

Definitely an Orange. Especially if can find one at a good price.