Help me find my amp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by andy43, Aug 4, 2008.

1. andy43

andy43 Member

I'm looking for a combo or head/212 to get the type of sound I'm looking for. I'm trying to find an amp that has a JCM 800 gain channel, but with a good, seperate clean channel also. So far the best option I've found is a Stiletto ACE 212 combo. What I really like about that combo is that it has a closed back so it would sound pretty good for the type of tone I'm looking for (Thrice, Dredg, Incubus). I'm worried though that it wouldn't get close enough to a JCM 800. Other options I've found are the Laney VC50/100 and various Rivera combos. What do you guys think? Does the Stiletto get close enough to a JCM 800?

Thanks, Andrew

Edit: Forgot to add, it must sound good at coffee shop volume levels, so no Marshalls allowed.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  2. andy43

andy43 Member

3. Deaj

Deaj Member

The Egnater MOD50 may be worth a look. Do a search here and you'll find lots of info. You can also listen to some vidcam clips at IndoorStorm.com.

The Rivera Channel 1 (Marshall inspired) across their line doesn't really come to life until the volume is way up. Channel 2 (Fender-like) sounds very good even at low volume. These are just my observations. YMMV of course. I have no experinece with the Stiletto though.

I've yet to play a great 'Fender + Marshall in one amp' solution - one voicing or the other usually falls short of the mark.

4. andy43

andy43 Member

The Egnater looks interesting. The fact that it uses modules though concerns me a bit.

I was afraid that the Rivera wouldn't sound good at low volumes. Keep in mind though that I'm not necessarily playing at "low" volumse. There's still an un-miced drum kit I have to keep up with. :lol:

Bogner Shiva seems nice, but I'm worried that it would be too dark for my tastes.

5. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

How about a DR Z 6545?

6. andy43

andy43 Member

Looks sweet. I didn't know that Dr. Z ever made multi-channel amps. Seems hard to find though.

7. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

How about a JCM800 combo with an attenuator? Crank the attenuator when you need to crank the Marshall, and bypass the attenuator when you want to be clean.

8. andy43

andy43 Member

A JCM 800 wouldn't have a good enough clean for me, I'm afraid.

9. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

check out the mesa's, the lone stars or the mark iv, I have a mark iv and putting in 6v6 tubes gets me incredible cleans, with really nice range of overdrive tones.

the mesa stilleto uses el-34 tubes so its going to be about as clean as a marshall which also uses el-34 tubes

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  10. andy43

andy43 Member

I've owned a Mark III, and while it was nice, it didn't really have that vintage-y upper midrange crunch I'm looking for.

11. Tinman

Tinman Member

I have never played or heard one, but word is that the Aiken Sabre does what you describe.

12. Belmont

Belmont Member

you'll have to compromise one way or the other,or I would buy a jcm800 combo and an amp with a clean tone that you like,and an A/B pedal.

13. andy43

andy43 Member

I think I remember running across these a while back and wanting one real bad. Any idea how much they cost? How loud do you have to play these?

I refuse to carry around two amps. :) One heavy combo is enough for me, thank you.

14. PanicProne

PanicProne Member

bump. I'm looking for the sam type of tone. Thrice/Dredg that he mentioned are awesome bands and would somewhat describes what I'm going for... I'm currently using a Crunch box and Keeley bd-2 for my distorted tones.. What do people recommend? I've been thinking about getting an AC30 and running the pedals through it.. (the ideal would be an a/b between a jcm 800 and a ac30 for example, but like andy, I refuse to carry around two amps). What do people reckon? For me it doesn't have to be a combo amp.. Head+cab is fine for me too..

15. Keld

Keld Member

Have you guys played any of the Orange offerings? The Rockerverbs get a lot of nice reviews for having good clean and dirt channels.

16. Julia343

Julia343 Member

How about a Randall RM50 with a clean module (Blackface, Deluxe, JTM, Super V, Top Boost or Tweed) and a SL+ (for the JCM 800 and it's spot on, and if you turn the gain on this one above noon and scoop the mids you'll get the JCM 2000). You'll need to drop a pair of =C= EL34s in it though. This will not break the bank either.

The fact that the Randall and Egnater use preamp modules is a feature and benefit. Get tired of one amp sound, you just spend $150 (used) to $400 (new Egnater module) and get a different preamp module

17. PanicProne

PanicProne Member

thanks for the tip man. I'll have a look..

and yeah, andy....sorry for stealing your thread man! :p But it seemed so handy.