Help me find my amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mr. G., Jun 9, 2005.

1. Mr. G.

Mr. G. Member

I have an idea for an amp, but I have no idea where to start looking for it, if it even exists. Here's a run down of some of the characteristics I'm looking for:

-2 independant channels
    -10-30 watts (tube of course)
    -clean channel to go from sparkeling cleans to bluesy crunch
    -OD channel to go from classic rock to hard rock/metal
    -distortion needs to have a tight bottom, punchy mids, and good clarity. I hate flabby/muddy distortion.
    -bypassable (by footswitch) effects loop
    -reverb would be a plus
    -would like each channel to have volume, gain, bass, mid, treble, reverb level controls
    -two speaker outputs switchable from 4-8-16 ohms
    -low and high inputs for use with lower and higher output pickups would be a plus
    -needs to be a head

Does this amp already exist? Is it possible to get an amp like that for under $1500 USD? Thanks for any input!

2. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

Well it might be tough to find an amp that covers all of those things. I would check out the Rivera line. They will do alot of what you are asking.

3. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Ummm... I'm not sure about the under $1500USD... and it depends if you're caught up on boutique stuff or not. As for boutique stuff, you could try the Diezel Einstein, it has all seperate EQ, footswitchable reverb and effects loop and a three way pre-amp switch for the clean channel that REALLY changes the way that channel sounds, from clean, to texas blues and hard rock crunch all the way up to EVH tones... and then the second channel takes off from there all the way into metal land.

As for the 30 Watts thing... with those features, you'll be hard pressed to find a 30 Watt head or even combo because most amps with good tone in that wattage are PTP wired and some of those features you want usually only come with some PCB construction as well, however, this is not a bad thing, a 50 or 100 Watt head with a good master is more useful in some situations than any 30 watter you'd look at because it probably has a bigger output tranny and a stiffer power supply so it'll hold its definition longer if you're pushing the power section, unlike some marketed "class A" amps which fall apart at high volumes.

For under $1500 USD that would cover all those tones and have those features, the Single Rectifier Rect-o-verb head might be the way to go, and it is only 50 Watts and even though it doesn't mention the footswitchable effects loop, I'm sure there is an optional footswitch set-up to allow this:
    http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_I...gle_Rectifiers/Rect-O-Verb_/rect-o-verb_.html

So as far as boutique stuff goes, I'd recommend the Diezel, but it is quite a ways out of your price range.

However the Rect-O-Verb isn't a bad amp by any means and would definatley fit your needs and features, plus it has individual reverb and presence controls for each channel.

-TJK

4. Deaj

Deaj Member

Rivera makes an amp that fits this description except for the bypassable effects loop. The Fandango 55 watt head has every other feature you specify. There is a pentode/triode (labeled Modern/Vintage) and in triode operation you're under 30 watts.

It has two independent channels. Each has its own bass, middle, treble, gain (Volume) and level (Master volume).
    Channel 1 is 'Marshall' inspired and there's plenty of gain on tap. There is also a switch to shift the mid frequencies for a more modern voicing - classic rock and metal here.
    Channel 2 is 'Fender' inspired and does both clean and mean very well - clean and blues here. There is a bright switch and a mid shift switch which provides both 'tweed' and 'blackface' voicings.
    Both channels have their own gain boost and both are foot switchable.

I believe you will find that the overdrive from both channels well within your stated preferences.

There is no bypass switch for the effects loop but Rivera may be able to provide a modification to accomodate this. Give them a call. They'll be able to answer this one for you.

There are three speaker outs and a impedance selector with 4,8,and 16 ohm taps.

It has hi and low inputs.

It has reverb.

Best of luck!

5. Mr. G.

Mr. G. Member

The Fandango 55 looks to be pretty close to what I'm looking for, except I can't find it in a head version. The Recto-verb also looks pretty close. I don't mind if it's ~50 watt's. My Classic 50 does pretty good, it's just a little loud playing at home. The footswitchable bypassable effects loop isn't a must have. My Triple XXX head has it, and it's nice for giving a volume boost when not being used with effects. My main concern is being able to have a really sweet, somewhat heavey distortion that maintains a tight bottom end and punchy mids that wont need a pedal infront of it. With both of my amps, and preamps (Rockmaster, POD 2.0, and PODxt) I alway's feel I need to kick on my MXR ZW-44 overdrive with the leval all the way up, tone usually around 12:00, and the gain at 0 - 8:00. Grant it, this does sound very good, but I don't want to have to switch channels and click on the pedal to achieve this.

As far as the wattage goes, I used to be one of those who thought they needed at least 100 watts to be loud enough to play with a band :rolleyes: . Then I started using my Classic 50 as a head into my 4x12, and thought.... this sounds much better. I was able to push the amp a little harder and get a sweeter tone. Now, I'm just using the Classic 50 on it's own, and it's PLENTY loud enough. I really want to go back to the 4x12 though, because it just sounds too good not to use, and it's a pain to carry around a 2x12 combo and a 4x12 cab. That's why I'm looking for a no more than 50 watt head.

Thanks for all the help!

6. Mr. G.

Mr. G. Member

anymore suggestions?

7. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

There are several Riveras that fit this, except that you get into the 10-30 Watt range on half power or triode mode.

Also, do you need separate impedance switching on each output? That would be difficult. But if you just need impedance switching and two speaker outs, that's pretty normal.

Off the top of my head I would say your spec sounds like a Knucklehead Reverb 55 head. But you better play one first. Rivera drive channels are great for some players bt not for everybody.

8. Mr. G.

Mr. G. Member

yeah, I was just talking about 2 speaker outs and 1 impedance selector.

I don't think there's any place near me that carries Rivera. I live in Grenada, Ms. It's kinda hard to find anything other than Fender, Marshall, and Peavey around here :mad:

9. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

OK well there is some stuff in Memphis (I was just there a few weeks ago) but not any Riveras that I saw. There is a guy that is becoming a VHT dealer there, and he had a real sweet Bogner Metropolis Reverb on consignment. On the other hand, Metropolis is a great amp, but only one channel and is a strange choice for metal.

Looks like the nearest Rivera dealer to you is Hot Springs, AR.

Bummer.

But someone here will probably have a better idea in due course.

10. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Yeah Fandango would be a good choice. Especially since it covers his gain range and is a real good sounding amp.

Now about the footswitchable efx. It's there on the M/S series. In this guy's case that means using one of the power modes to get the lower wattage. M60 can be a really good amp.

If you need that and don't have that then you can always put a footswitch to bypass the effects in the loop. I don't use one myself so I don't know what to recommend but it's a thing that I've seen guys do so it can't be that crazy.

11. rooster

rooster Member

Other than the FX loop, call Jay Wolfe at Wolfe Guitars in Florida. He may have just what you need.

rooster.

12. billyC

billyC Member

IMHO the VHT Pittbull 45 might come real close to your specs....

Yes -2 independant channels

Kinda (30-45) -10-30 watts (tube of course)

Yes -clean channel to go from sparkeling cleans to bluesy crunch

Yes -OD channel to go from classic rock to hard rock/metal

Yes -distortion needs to have a tight bottom, punchy mids, and good clarity. I hate flabby/muddy distortion.

Yes -bypassable (by footswitch) effects loop

Yes (also footswitchable) -reverb would be a plus

Kinda (Lead channel has both Vol & Gain/Amp has 1 Reverb control) -would like each channel to have volume, gain, bass, mid, treble, reverb level controls

Yes -two speaker outputs switchable from 4-8-16 ohms

Yes -low and high inputs for use with lower and higher output pickups would be a plus

Yes -needs to be a head

I have the 112 combo and I use it in Class A mode (closer to 30 watts 4xEL84s) and find it to be a very versatile amp. And it really responds well to my lead guitarist's PRS Hollowbody II (clips available).

Do check the board for other posts about this amp and you'll find it gets some high marks...

13. aquadog

aquadog Member

Although its a little more wattage then you asked for, the 50 watt TGA2 (or 3 if you can find one- I'm pretty sure theres a fifty watt one as well) fits the bill great. If you can find a TGA3, its got the third, super high gain channel, which would be a cool thing to have.