Help me find my first Les Paul!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Dobb, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Dobb

Dobb Member

Ive been playing longer than I care to admit. I have a stable of fiddles that I LOVE (EBMM, PV Wolf, Strats, Guild S-100, 814ce), but I have never ever owned an LP. In fact, I cant even remember the last time that I touched one.

So Ive been thinking about a used studio. Can I get a little advice, as to what years to watch for, or avoid? Any other advice would be appreciated.

I dont live anywhere near a brick and mortar, so it'll probably be a reverb buy.

Anyway, I'm fairly new here so dont get too pist if this type of thread is frowned upon.

Peace,

Dobb.

2. Audioholic

Audioholic Member

It's hard to say what you will personally like. For me I love the 60s slim neck. I just bought a traditional pro 2 and love it. I am not a super fan of the newer 2015 models. Not that they are terrible, just a bit too much of a departure from what I personally like about les Paul's. And I wonder about resale. Best bet is to try a few. Each guitar is unique

3. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

Is it the tone you are after or the whole LP experience?

I have found that even the 50's/60's/70's tributes have the killer tone. They are lighter and cost much less than even studios.

A classic can be had for maybe $1200-$1400 which has the maple cap and binding. I prefer Traditionals on the lower end of the Gibson spectrum.

4. Dobb

Dobb Member

Yes...that is exactly what Im looking for, that classic LP sound. Im not too concerned about cosmetic condition, although they sure look alot better with caps and bindings. I wish I could just try a bunch of 'em. I live too far away from any GC for that.

Thanks for your help!

5. Dobb

Dobb Member

I agree about the 2015's. Im really after that classic LP sound ya know?

6. Dobb

Dobb Member

Ima check out some used traditionals. Am I breaking any rules if I post a GFS add here for feedback?

7. Raymond Lin

Raymond Lin Member

You first need to find out the neck profile that you like, and features, whether you like modern ones with coil tap or not.

And are you bothered about chambering or weight relief?

When you have answered that then your target Les Paul will be much narrower.

If you want a traditional one, look for a 2013 or 2014 traditional.

8. Ulug

Ulug Member

Dude, I'd say go try them out first and then choose one, wherever they may be, unless the closest guitar store is 500 miles away you know. A bit of gas money would be worth it, if you're looking for a guitar you'd like to bond with. Blind dates just don't work for me. :)

9. Jven

Jven Supporting Member

I consider the 2013 traditional to be a must have Les Paul, so I'd say look for a used one, that might be what your looking for..

10. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Vendor

As mentioned previously, the 50-70s tribute models are very good values.

If you are looking for a Studio, people seem to like the early to mid 90s guitars. The finishes on those are very similar to what you'd get with a current Standard, Traditional, Classic, etc. Once you get into the 2000s, most of the finishes are "faded" or "satin" or whatever. And that's not a bad thing per se, but it's not quite like a nice clear coat shiny finish. You can pay bigger for one of the higher up Studio models to get the fancier finish, but at that point I would personally rather put the same cash towards a Traditional or a Classic or some other similar model.

11. Oranges

Oranges Member

I hate to be "that guy", but les pauls are one guitar that you REALLY should play before you buy. They are almost always different, even if they are the "same" model. Also, the newer LPJ's are the best value IMO. I played a bunch of 2013-2014's and they were awesome. But I ended up buying a 2015 LPM. That was a real step up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Oranges

Oranges Member

To each their own. My 2015 LPM doesn't really sound any different than a 1990 standard. Both are traditional weight relieved, mahogany body, maple cap, and traditional humbuckers. Granted my 2015 has a maple neck and '61 zebra burstbuckers

13. Suhrlicious

Suhrlicious Member

If I were you, this is the route I'd go. I have one LP and it's a 2013 LP Traditional. I've had R8's and I still preferred the way my Traditional played and the tone wasn't that far off anyhow. 2013 was a great year for the Traditional. It was the year they finally got away from the swiss-cheese body and the 2 piece rosewood fretboard. The neck on the 2013 is similar to an R8 neck...fairly thick and substantial but still very playable. It has that "classic" LP sound and vibe.

14. Elduderino73

Elduderino73 Member

You should really try out the different neck profiles first. If you have little girl hands then you'll be just fine with a 60 Slim taper because it's so thin, but would most likely hate the big baseball bats of the '58s or not-as-thick '59 profiles. If you have really big hands, then the opposite would most likely apply.

Once I discovered the big beefy Epiphone Slim Taper D neck profile (not 60s Slim Taper) I knew that was it for me and my hands. I had an Epi LP Custom Pro in Alpine White that had the 60s Slim Taper. I bought that guitar without ever having played a guitar with that slim neck profile. I tried to get on with it, but playing chords resulted in a cramped hand really fast. I no longer have that guitar.

Neck profiles are a determining factor for me.

15. Elduderino73

Elduderino73 Member

I agree. How long do you think it will be before Henry J. realizes he made a huge mistake tinkering with the classic recipe and returns the models back to normal?

16. Ulug

Ulug Member

Yeah, well, that gentleman seemed to be taking great pride in smashing an SG while he was trying to advertise one of his toys of yesteryear, the Firebird X. What do you expect?

17. Oranges

Oranges Member

What did they do wrong to the les paul? I agree that the g force tuners should be optional but other than that... It's a les paul. I mean, they stepped up their quality, frets, fret board, inlays are actual pearl now. Better wiring, brass nut, what's wrong with it?

18. dcbc

dcbc Member

I have a 2014 LP Traditional and love it. One thing to consider is that before 2013, the LT-Trads were weight relieved. You need to decide if there is tone value in that. Now, I love my guitar. But it is heavier than snot at close to 10 lbs. I had an early 90s LP Deluxe gold top/goldback that probably sounded as good, but was a good deal lighter, but not by much.

In any event, there are chambered guitars, there are weight relieved guitars, there are the 2013/2014 Traditionals, and there is the rest. The 2013/2014 Traditionals are a sweet spot for heavy LPs with no zero fret, etc., if that's what you're after.

19. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

There are a few things to consider:

How much do you plan to spend? A used Special can be had for about $600, as can a Studio or Tribute. Standards, Classics, Traditionals, etc. will be more like $1500 used.

What kind of pickups are you looking for? If you want humbuckers then you'd go with a Standard, Studio, Classic, Traditional. If you want P-90s you go for a Special or Tribute, though I think they made some Goldtop Standards with P-90s. I'd personally avoid P-100s, mini-humbuckers, or Specials with humbuckers, but that's a matter of taste.

They'll all have a carved top, except for the Specials, which have a flat top.

My #1 is a Les Paul Junior Special with P-90s that I bought new a couple years ago for $550. I think it's an awesome guitar and incredible value for the quality. I also have a '79 Standard that I love, but I don't play it much because I want to avoid putting any more wear and tear on it. The Standard has the big, beefy 70's classic rock tone, especially when played through a Marshall or Orange. The Special has a gritty, aggressive 60's vibe and I usually play it through a '66 Pro Reverb for an Americana sound.

20. Dobb

Dobb Member

I dont want or need a chambered or weight relieved guitar. Im a big guy with big hands. Its sounding like I should try a few traditionals of recent vintage...what neck profile would be on the 2013/2014 traditionals?

Rumble5 you really seem to know your LP's.

Moneywise, I could probably go up to say $1500 give or take $100 ( without momma noticing lol)

I guess Im gonna take the 5 hour round trip to the nearest GC and try a few.

Everyones help is appreciated.