• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Help Me Find My Tone Amp Recommendation

Jchrisf

I want to start over and find a tone I am happy with and also understand how to find tones. I've always used Amp Modeling devices like Line6 stuff and recently got a Rocktron Prophesy. These can produce some great tones but are a little complicated at times.

I just want to start over and get a real amp. Start by getting familiar with the amp itself and then slowly buy a pedal here and there to develop my tone... getting familiar with the pedal and understanding what it does and how it works.

I like everything from Jazz tones to 80's Hair Metal so I'd like to get an amp that is Versatile and can take pedals well. I already have a Marshall JCM 900 Lead 1960 4x12 cab that I can use.

Any suggestions? Let me know if I need to provide more info. Thanks!

Jchrisf

Bedroom... And I'd say around $700 ( but would like to spend less) for budget... Thanks

DaveKS

Traynor Dark Horse, has a actual 2w power section if you really do mean "bedroom" volume as well as a 15w.

Tweaker 15

VHT Special 6 or 12/20

Blackstar ht5r

Jchrisf

Find a used Fender Deluxe Reverb. Learn to play on it and go from there.
Would the Fender Deluxe Reverb be able to obtain 80's metal tones?

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am researching them now.

Dale

It is hard to cover Jazz/Country Clean to 80's metal with one amp and no pedals. The HR DLX can do it with pedals. Tweaker 15 will do so as well with pedals. There are some new smaller DSL Marshalls out that may work if you like the clean side. There is Blackstar and the Tubemister series as well.

Jchrisf

It is hard to cover Jazz/Country Clean to 80's metal with one amp and no pedals. The HR DLX can do it with pedals. Tweaker 15 will do so as well with pedals. There are some new smaller DSL Marshalls out that may work if you like the clean side. There is Blackstar and the Tubemister series as well.
Thanks Dale.. I do want to use pedals with this amp.

Jchrisf

Reverb and you can't hard bypass the FX loop like on the non reverb model.
Is it worth it to be able to bypass the fx loop and then just get my reverb from a pedal when needed or have the reverb on the amp but not be able to bypass the fx loop?

Bsafer

Check out a V1 Carvin Legacy. Very versatile once you have a good overdrive to boost the lead channel. The cleans can be awesome for Country or Jazz too.

motokev

The best clean amp that worked extremely well with OD pedals is the TONE KING METRO. I also recommend you buy OD pedals with a BASS knob, since you'll lose some BASS with a pedal. If the TK is too PRICY, try a Fender BASSMAN LTD or HOT ROD DLX. If you want a SMALLER AMP that sounds amazing, try the TK FALCON; I love that amp !

JunkGear

Silver Supporting Member
Is it worth it to be able to bypass the fx loop and then just get my reverb from a pedal when needed or have the reverb on the amp but not be able to bypass the fx loop?
I really don't think the FX loop bypass would make much difference, and most people seem to like the loop circuit active all the time anyway.

It really comes down to what fits your needs more. The reverb model is a little bigger also. The non reverb model comes with the amp bag so you can just throw it over your shoulder and go.

The cost difference between the two models isn't much, and a good reverb pedal would cost you some anyway, so I would just get the one that makes more sense for your needs.

freaksho

i can't imagine a Recto-anything would be the best choice for 80's hair metal. 80's Metallica, yes, but not Whitesnake or Ratt. but i've never owned one. are you all sure about this recommendation?

i'd guess something more in the Marshall realm with very controllable volume. like the Marshall Artist, or maybe one of the modern low watt Marshalls. sorry i can't help more but i don't know much about very quiet amps. but there are many threads on this so be sure do a search as well.

i can tell you that a great pedal for these tones is the Wampler Plextortion, which might help make a Mesa sound like an 80's Marshall. also the Crunch Box and Lovepedal Purple Plexi.

Jchrisf

Thanks JunkGear and freaksho. freaksho, will the Wampler Plextortion make a Fender Deluxe Reverb should like a 80's hair metal Marshall?

freaksho

Thanks JunkGear and freaksho. freaksho, will the Wampler Plextortion make a Fender Deluxe Reverb should like a 80's hair metal Marshall?
sorry, i can't say for sure cuz i've never owned a DR. i use my Plextortion through a Carol Ann OD2 and it's a very convincing JCM 800 / hot-rodded Plexi. but there many around here who are always trying to get classic Marshall out of clean Fender amps by using pedals. be sure to do a search in the Pedals forum - "Marshall In a Box" is the phrase everyone uses. in fact it's so common that it is often simply referred to as MIB.

Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret is another great Marshall pedal that just popped into my head. and there are a lot more. . .

Trending Topics

Top Bottom