help me find something for space rock..

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by capnbringdown, Dec 18, 2005.

1. capnbringdown

capnbringdown Member

Alright, I've been searching for this for awhile, and everytime I've asked, I've always been pointed to something that is more subtle when that isn't what I want. I'm looking for something to do space rock with, but most of the examples I can think of were probably done with synthesizers. I'm thinking like the intro 2112 by Rush or Jet Airliner by the Steve Miller Band. Yeah, I know its kinda cheesey, but I want something that's smooth and can be sustained for a long while. I've had a tonefactor analogue filter and an emma discombobulator (as well as trying out a q-tron) and they were all too subtle. I had a fm-4 (too harsh), digitech synth wah (too harsh, not subtle enough), and an ehx microsynth (couldn't really get the tone I wanted, not enough sustain, no decay in notes?). Can somebody recommend me something else to try out? I'm not sure if I'm looking for a ring modulator or another envelope filter or what. Maybe this isn't even really possible with a guitar. No, I don't want to do the whole hex pup/synth thing. That's way too complicated and annoying for me. I used to have an old roland synth for guitar but it was quite unwieldy out of the house. And no, I don't want to play keyboards to get this done. I'm a guitarist, and want the feel a guitar can give me. I don't really care if I can't cop specific tones, I'm just trying to get something that sounds good to me (I know how subjective that is).

2. carltonh

carltonh Member

3. jeak

jeak Member

4. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

5. capnbringdown

capnbringdown Member

I've check out those soundclips before, and they always seemed too gated for me. I have no wish to turn my guitar into something that sounds like my old nes.

And yeah, I forgot to mention I've had a fuzz factory and didn't really care for it. I also had a moog low pass filter. I don't want it to obtain the sound through self-oscillation. I want it to be because of my playing.

6. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

you may want to try out the EH Bass microsynth. Apparently it works great for guitar

7. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

What's your budget? How much space can it take up?

8. Franklin

Franklin Member

I have the EH P.O.G., pretty cool. My MXR Auto Q also has a cool effect where the notes trail off into a tremolo effect.

There are a lot of cool/weird ones out there, the Robotalk and ZVex's seek wah/seek trem come to mind.

9. Seegs

Seegs Member

A great place to start would be a Pigtronix EP-1...it's basically EF/LFO controlled phaser...

not only is this a great sounding box by itself but it is even more amazing when combined with other effects...I use it with chorus...Delay...looping and fuzz and it takes me sonic places that I never dreamed of before...

I'd love to add a POG to it:AOK

Chow,
    Seegs

10. capnbringdown

capnbringdown Member

Size isn't a real constraint for me at the moment. I'll probably going to try to build a pedalboard when it gets to be a little warmer out, so I'll probably be able to fit whatever I want on it. That being said, the size of like an Ehx pedal (while not out of consideration) isn't the most appealing thing to me, but if it has a huge footprint and gets the job done, I'll live with. I'm more concerned with not trying something that's too subtle because when I've said space rock in the past I've been led to more subtle effects, which don't really do what I'm after. The price range would hopefully be under $200 used, though I could maybe go a little more. I've considered the MURF in the past, but I don't think it would be the right pedal for me from what I've heard from soundclips and talking to toher people. A lovetone pedal would definitely be out of my price range, though.

11. Barge Concepts

Barge Concepts Member

Alesis Ineko? You can probably snatch one, and a TB loop, for less than $100.

Lots of reverbs (including reverse) and delay for big ambient sounds. Filters, autowah, some really nasty fuzz sounds as well. I'm running two, and keep one of them before my gain stages to get big walls of distorted reverb/delay...

12. mrbluetone

mrbluetone Member

A Keeley Modded DD-3 with the loop you can insert your favorite effects and the delay will fade into the effects...as much or as little as you want...and it will do runaway delays...it can get very spacey...and even effects that don't get used that much..sound great in the loop... I got a few clips of the DD-3 up...

13. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

Digitech Space Station, if you can find one.