Help me find the perfect Lead Pedal to compliment my Lovepedal Eternity and BBB

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JKoeth, Aug 28, 2005.

1. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

I use a 52 Reissue Tele into a Tophat Club Royale 2X12. I'm looking for the perfect Lead Pedal to compliment my Lovepedal Eternity and BBB.

The amp is normally set cleanish with the Eternity used for rhythm crunch and drive. I am amazed by Sean's stuff. They are the best pedals I've ever owned. I'd like to stick with his stuff but am open to other options too.

I've considered the Lovepedal Twin 60 (actually the smaller version called the Deluxe 60) or COT 50 (I'm guessing this one might be too bright). Also currently in contention is the Keeley Katana because I really liked the Modern side of the Time Machine Boost (which is the closest I've come to the sound I'm looking for).

I'm not interested in Fulltone FDII or the Analogman KOT. I've tried them both and they weren't quite it. Also, not interested in compressors because the Tophat has enough natural compression of it's own.

I also own a Timmy and although it is great in it's own right, it doesn't seem to be the best for this application. The Zendrive seems interesting but the clips sound a bit dark.

Anyone tried the Twin 60, COT 50, or Katana with an Eternity?

Any suggestions welcomed!

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

It sounds like your looking for a catalinbread super chile picoso. Try one of those babies out, I all but guarantee it's the boost you're looking for

www.catalinbread.com

3. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

It also seems that the Burriss Boostier or Boostiest might be an option.

Hmmmmmm...

4. Patch

Patch Gold Supporting Member

The Katana is a really great boost.

You should try a TIM. It's a nice overdrive by itself, but it can be set for clean boost plus you also have another boost (second channel) and you can put an EQ in the loop.

The BJF Sea Blue EQ is another option.

The underdog here is the T.C. Jauernig Luxury Drive. VERY good boost an a lot cheaper than the other ones. I have one and I love it. http://mypeoplepc.com/members/tjauernig/tcjauernigelectronics/id1.html

5. cuz/karl

cuz/karl Supporting Member

I use both those pedals & I also have a TMB.I love boosting those pedals with the modern side,but I would just get a used TMB instead.

The Katana 179 you can find used TMB for right around 200 & it has the extra features.

I also use a orange squeezer which adds some boost but also sustian & I find myself using that for lead boosts more then anything.

I do admit I'm a little more then intreged by the Twin60 though.

And I beleive the deluxe & twin are the same size case,the twin being turned sideways,with extra switch & knob.

6. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Man, the COT 50 would be a great option for boosting your Eternity. You'd be surprised, it's not bright like you'd expect. I've never heard dirt pedals that work well together... until I heard seans stuff. That's way I suggest you try it.

Although Sean uses a "treble" boost in his pedals, it's not a bright boost. Normal OD pedal circuits loose some high frequencies to ground. The way Sean does it is just a creative way of getting around the common problem. So his pedals sound more open and less constricted.

I love seeing that you dig your Eternity so much!:AOK

7. Champlifier

Champlifier Supporting Member

8. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

Two of my favorite lead tones are the Eternity into the SBEQ and the Mosferatu into SBEQ - both have a 1+1=3 effect sounding better than either alone...

I think Mosfet drives are preferred/recommended with the Tophats ??

So I would consider the Mosferatu as an alternative to the Eternity sound, both are great to switch between and both sound great with the SBEQ

and you might want get the custom 4knob Mos for some extra tones to mess w ith...

do you ever run the BBB into the E ? Fuzz Face into Tube Screamer is a wonderful thing when balanced right !!

9. cuz/karl

cuz/karl Supporting Member

I do that all the time & is one of my favorite combo's.

The Eternity into the Keeley Fuzz Freak bd2 is awsome as well.

10. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

I agree! My BBB set lightly into the Eternity kicks some serious butt.

Thanks!!

11. Don Rusk

mmm yup that would be a sweetie too - using t he E as the preamp, nice!

(hey c/k e me if you can)

12. Don Rusk

yeah the SBEQ is also great at shaping fuzzes for lead use too...... so Im pretty sure youd dig it---- youd have the BBB and E by them selves, or stacked or individually into the SB and even stacked into the SBEQ, lots of great variety and many tasty tones...

13. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

i run the cot50 into the eternity, gets me into jeff beck land!

14. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Yo Donner,

I'd love to hear clips of your Eternity into the SBEQ.

Got any?!

Man, $280 is more than I wanted to spend but I really want this search to be over!

What amp are you using for your setup?

15. Don Rusk

I will demostrate that combo and others when i get the clip machine working correctly......

I use Fenders with Jensens or Greenbacks mostly works on both..........

what is it specifically you are looking to add to your rig.....?

16. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

I guess I'm just looking for a great overall lead boost. Smooth, articulate and unimposing. Ideally, it could do a clean and colorless boost to an already clean amp and push into more liquid sustain when added to my other pedals.

I might be asking a bit much for one pedal. I might need one for straight clean boost and another for solos.

Great responses everyone. This forum has been a wonderful and expensive place of higher learning!!

The SBEQ has me intrigued. Can it do a colorless clean boost and add some sustain when added to other pedals? Is it true bypass? I couldn't find a site...

17. Don Rusk

Kind of sounds like you want a compressor , most compressors will also do a nice clean boost when rolled down....

The Pale Green Compressor is excellent at this....( try www.musictoyz.com in the BJF section they have clips and even videos for some of these)

the Barber Tone Press, has a blendable clean boost and could be of interest......

also something like the McSqueeze that is more of a limiter and gives pretty natural sustain.......

18. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

I've tried the Analogman Bi-Comp Large box version. The one with the year long wait list. It's one of the best and most versatile compressors around. I've owned two.

The Tophat is already compressed enough on it's own. Compressors don't seem to add that much to it. Except noise. Even the good ones.

I think I might still be looking in the boost catagory.

Thanks for the suggestions though. The wealth of knowledge and expereince on this forum is superb.

So far it seems like the Twin 60 (or deluxe), Katana, Burriss, and SBEQ are all very appealing.

Do you think the SBEQ can do what I'm looking for? It's gotta be True Bypass for me though. Do you know if it is?

19. The Gainster

The Gainster Member

The Twin 60 is what you want...run it last to goose your od's. I wouldn't want to gig without it.

[​IMG]

20. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Yo Gainster,

Can you run both channels at once? Can it add a little gain and some more sustain for leads? How's it compare to the Timmy?

Thanks man!!