Help me find the right tube amp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by captainchair, Jun 21, 2008.

1. captainchair

captainchair Member

Hey guys, this is my first post here so please cut me some slack, I've done a little bit of reading and searched around and read about some names and I want your opinion..

I need an amp that has a huge amount of clean headroom, something that is rugged and can be used for years to come of gigging and such. It needs to respond well to many pedals. The catch is... I only have MAYBE 700 to spend on a head, if you suggest a combo (which I'm not against!) that number changes to 1,000. The amount of watts do not matter to me but I will be gigging unmiced sometimes (occasionally outdoors) so it needs to be loud! I currently play out of a 1966 Fender Bandmaster head and a '68 BM cab and I think I want to sell them. The 40 watts seems powerful but at high volume it starts to get a bit overdriven. It stays clean fine when I'm just playing, really its more of when our drummer "gets into it".

I'm fairly new to tube amps as the bandmaster is my first, I really enjoy its cleans but I'm open to trying all sorts of gear, I just don't have the means to as none of the people I associate with have anything. I've played out of an Orange Rocker 30 once and loved it but I wasn't playing with a drummer. Which brings me to another question, is a 30-watt Orange quieter then a 40-watt fender, quieter than a etc. Volume wise how do the watts transfer? I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but I hear about people gigging with 18-watt amps and 30 and etc. and im just wondering why my 40 doesnt stay clean..

My influences include: godspeed you! black emporer, explosions in the sky, yndi halda, Pirate Ship Quintet, Red Light Chamber Choir, Pg. Lost .... basically anything clean/symphonic/with the occasional heavy distortion and really really really textured with effects (delay, reverb, and the like). From what I've read a music man 130 might be up my alley, or possibly an Ampeg v4 (above my spending limit), or maybe my Bandmaster just needs some loving and some cap changes/clean up, and possibly the Peaveys inside of it changed to something that stays cleaner longer like V30s. HELP ME OUT (and not just because you want me to sell my bandmaster to you:))!!!

Edit: Also if that amp you want to suggest is a little out of my spending limit go ahead and and suggest it anyways as I have a perfectly fine Epiphone Valve Junior at my disposal and if needed will go without gigging gear for a little bit to save up a couple hundred more... I just would rather not have to do that

2. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

for clean headroom you're gonna have to go with more power or solid state(did i say that out loud?) I'm sure one of these tech types can tell you why 30 watts class A is louder than 40 watts class AB. mine is not to reason why. sounds like you should try the express 50:5

3. Drew68

Drew68 Supporting Member

This is what you need:

[​IMG]

It's gonna set you back a little more than $700. But it is the amp you need. You could find one used for under $2000, possibly even $1000 if the buyer was desperate and the amp was working but a little beat up.

The Hiwatt DR-103 is known for remaining clean at high volumes.

4. wavey63

wavey63 Member

How 'bout building a Weber kit? Somethine like the 6m45 or the like? They are faily cheap and sound awesome. I just bult an 18watt that is just about what I want in an amp. I have it dialed for the Ritchie Blackmore tone. Then again, there is always the Guitar C%^*ter used area!!!:dude

5. captainchair

captainchair Member

While building a kit sounds completely sweet I don't think I have the know how to do so, I've done only simple soldering in my life (guitar pickups) and i would end up ruining it i'm sure hah.

6. Robert Burns

Robert Burns Member

VHT... headroom...tight focused

7. captainchair

captainchair Member

Bump, any other suggestions? Something mostly clean, head no more than 700, combo no more than 1000???

8. slipslick

slipslick Member

Fender '65 Twin RI... Clean & LOUD!

9. Franktone

Franktone Member

The Hi-Watt 50 is also a very loud clean amp. That's my choice for you.

10. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

Mesa Lonestar Classic 212 combo, don't know what they cost, but you can't have a high spec amp (which you have asked for) for breadcrumbs.
    Either that or use a Crate powerblock, and bung your pedals in front of that.