Help Me Find What's Wrong With My Guitar?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by thing2n8, Mar 23, 2015.

1. thing2n8

thing2n8 Member

Stopping by the luthier's corner because I've got a Squier 51 that stopped working last year. It had a loose jack that I meant to tighten, but plugged it in anyways. The cable fell out, I tightened the jack, and suddenly no signal was coming through! I opened up the control cavity but couldn't see anything obvious like a loose wire, so here I am!

I'm hoping that I can fix this easily myself, and I'm not afraid to start soldering anything if necessary, but I'm just not sure how to identify the problem. Obviously my first thought is that the jack has something wrong with it, but nothing stood out to me as not being in contact correctly. I'm also wondering if something could have happened to the potentiometers, but I'm not sure how to test this. Can anyone help me create a sort of checklist of things to look over?

This guitar is cheap, and presumably has some cheap electronics, so if you have any suggestions on simple upgrades that I can make while trying to fix this issue (i.e. a better jack, potentiometers, resistors, etc.) I'd love to hear them!

Thank you so much for any help you can give me! I really love this guitar for the bargain that it is and would love to be able to play through it again soon!

2. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Get a switchcraft jack to start. Put it in. You might check the wire from the jack to the pot maybe it came loose. Have you looked inside ?
    The other possibility is some of the really cheap import jacks are made of real soft steel. I bought some once form an amp kit manufacturer.. they worked for one or two "plug ins" and then the little tang that is supposed to contact the tip of the cord stayed bent out and didn't contact well! too soft.

3. mellecaster

mellecaster Member

I would suspect that when you tightened the Jack You twisted the wires and one or both broke off.

4. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

I bet pics would sort this out pretty quick.

5. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Lay your hands on the computer screen.

6. Jonny Hotnuts

Jonny Hotnuts Member

If you have shielding in your jack cavity when you tighten the jack it can rotate and go pin to ground. Both wires will be connected however you will have zero sound. If this is true rotate the jack so it is not making contact and re tighten paying attention not to rotate again.

~JH

~JH