Help me finish my pedalboard! What would you add/change in it?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Adutler, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Adutler

Adutler Member

Im posting this to get some ideas :)

My gear is basically a Les Paul with Mesa Mark 5:25 Head, and this pedalboard:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see, I have some free space in my pedalboard. The slot near the CC Mini is for a Mooer E-lady flanger which I ordered last week.
    Consider the orange square as the space that can be altered over the pedalboard, and keep in mind that the dual footswitch must stay, and there should be a reverb and looper pedals there. What would you add/change?

My thought are upgrading the hof mini to some better reverb and get mini digital delay, or maybe get another drive pedal :)

I should also mention that Im not into fuzz neither tremolo, and my amp can do all mid-high gain sounds (crunch to heavy metal), so only low-mid drives are relevant

Thank you all in advance for your opinions :)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  2. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Member

I would've said a nice retro fuzz, but barring that - maybe a nice vibe pedal? Or a good Leslie pedal.

3. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

If you want to move to another reverb & delay, maybe check delay/reverb combos.
    I'm unable to see the photos you've uploaded for some reason.
    Wampler Ethereal is a nice one.

4. Adutler

Adutler Member

Well I actually never had a leslie type effect, and vibrato/univibe isnt my style :)
    After thinking alot I will probably get some low gain drive or upgrade my reverb pedal :)
    Anything in that direction?

Hey :)
    I actually really love my carbon copy mini delay :)
    The reverb is the one I think of upgrading, and about those combos, unless you know a combo with a pristine clear delay to combine with my analog one :)

5. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

Hey Hey :)
    I think the CC is a good delay; I have a worse sounding delay but it doesn't matter so much.. I played the CC at someone's house & it delivers.
    Of the combos, I think they are mostly analog delay + reverb, not sure.
    If you like your delay & want a separate reverb, I'm thinking of getting a 'Biyang' Reverb. It has got great reviews & not expensive (it's Chinese).

6. Bogner

Bogner Member

I can't see the pics of your board but based on your comment for Reverb I offer you these two amazing pedals.

Meris Mercury7
    Neunaber Immerse Mk II

7. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Member

+1 on the Immerse; it's really quite remarkable. The W3T reverb algorithm is amazing - that's from someone who owns both Lexicon and Eventide.
    OP, you haven't said whether you're using the loop in your Mk V; a super quality verb like the Immerse really deserves to be post-gain.

Given that you have four tube channels available I wasn't sure how useful a low-gain solid state drive pedal would be for you, especially since you're already using a klone. That said, Lovepedal makes a number of them with different characters that are very amplike in their behavior, especially in the way they clean up when you roll back the volume on your guitar.

The Kalamazoo is excellent and somewhat vintagey, it has both a trebleboost and a conventional tone control. This could be different enough from what you have to make it worthwhile. Treble booster is an odd thing; I avoided them for years because instinct told me they'd make my sound too treble-y. Not so.

A few other true low-to-mid-gain gems in Lovepedal's line: Zendrive is famously smooth, can give you extra gain without a lot of hair which is pretty unusual and has made it a favorite of many. The Voice knob lets you fine-tune the crucial midrange. It comes in several versions but for lower gain ranges the classic silvertop one might be best. And easiest to find.

There are a few Lovepedals modeled after the tone of small early-60s Fender amps, 4knob Deluxe and the 5e3 pedals among others. I recently got a 4knob Deluxe and it's very sweet indeed, my current favorite. I also have the Blackface Deluxe, very good low gain pedal. SuperSix is an SRV-type tone, intended to be like the sound of an old Super turned up to six.

Hi Volt is a Marshall-flavored pedal with somewhat higher gain than the others I've mentioned. It has an internal charge pump like klones do, so it's very dynamic. And it's got great three band EQ tuned just perfectly for guitar. Fantastic lead tone, and the lows are particularly chunky without getting too loose.

All of the above pedals are highly responsive to changes in pick attack and have fingertouch feel that's quite amplike, as well as cleaning up well as mentioned earlier. (Full disclosure- I don't own the 5e3 pedal; for the others I speak from personal experience.)

Perhaps a British-type tone would be another good color to add to your tone palette. There are quite a few MIAB-type pedals on the market these days, some very good indeed. EDIT: the Lovepedal Purple Plexi is a really good low-to-medium gain pedal, very Marshall in flavor. Worth reading up about.

Or, to go in a completely different direction, have you considered a compressor? Many current comp pedals offer a blend control and aren't just about squashtone anymore. There are some great ones out there these days.

One last thought, something less obvious - EP3 preamp. The old Echoplexes really did do something special through frequency-dependent phase inversion. There's a reason why players like EVH & Eric Johnson continued to use the EP-3 long after it was obsolete, and why clones of this circuit have become popular. I love what my Chase Tone Secret does. The moment I clicked it on I heard that subtle richness I'd been missing ever since I gave up my tape echo and switched to a digital delay back in 1980. Clinch FX makes one that's highly regarded also. There are cheaper mini ones like the Xotic EP Boost; I haven't used any so I can't say how close they come to the mark. But the Chase really does nail it. If you're intimately familiar with the sound of your rig, you might be surprised how it can be that extra bit better with an always-on sweetener pedal.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    ClinchFX likes this.
  8. ClinchFX

ClinchFX Gold Supporting Member Vendor

In fact, we were the first to put an accurate re-creation of the EP-3 preamp in a pedal, back in 2008.

eclecticsynergy and PlexiFuzz like this.
  9. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too. Silver Supporting Member

Agreed on the EP-3 preamp. The ClinchFX EP-Pre is a dead-on match to my early 70s EP-3. It makes everything sound bigger and better.

ClinchFX likes this.
  10. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Member

Well done. Kudos for bringing a great circuit back into the limelight.

ClinchFX likes this.