Help Me Get Fat and Heavy!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by viking power, Aug 11, 2019.

1. viking power

viking power Member

Hey-

I’m looking for advice. I’ve tried a few things and been searching forums here and YouTube. Haven’t found a definitive answer yet so here I am starting my own thread...

My issue-
    I have a SSS American Strat and a 65 Princeton Reverb RI. I love my rig buuuuuuuut, I’d like to get fat and heavy sometimes. Having trouble getting there. I currently have a BOSS OS-2 which is quite versatile and when paired with my other guitar, a Gretsch semihollow electromatic, it can get fairly beefy. Not so with the strat. Thing is the strat is more comfortable for me to play and I would rather use it for all my playing. How can I get some fat and heavy sound out of this setup? Do I just need to adjust the settings of my gear? Do I need a fuzz pedal? If so, which one?
    Obviously, an easy answer would be to get a humbucker equipped axe but I really dig my strat. Also, due to some of the other styles I play, I don’t want a fat strat. I have a funky, disabled fretting hand index finger so sticking with the neck that works best for me is a must. The strat neck helps me be a better player with my situation.
    To give you a feel for what I’m looking for - The Cramps, Black Sabbath, The Misfits...all bands I love and would like to cover on occasion. Typically, I play surf, rockabilly and blues so don’t need a thick, heavy sound but when I want to reconnect with my youth, damn I’d like to shake the earth a bit.

Thanks for reading. Long ass question but had to get those details out there.

Thanks for any tips!

Benderp, TP Parter and AXXA like this.
  2. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

Get a single coil sized humbucker in the bridge.

3. viking power

viking power Member

Won’t I lose the single coil bridge tone that sounds so good for surf with a bunch of Reverb though?

Benderp likes this.
  4. HERSCHEL

HERSCHEL Member

Seymour Duncan Pickup booster and a heavier drive pedal.

5. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

You will.

You can always find another Strat and put humbuckers in it.

viking power likes this.
  6. Jim Marciano

Jim Marciano Supporting Member

Check out the lovepedal elephant man, it's a clean boost pedal that emphasizes the lower mids, I set mine to unity gain just to beef up my strat and if I want to I can turn it up and push the amp

7. viking power

viking power Member

Noted though I am hoping for a solution that allows me to work with the guitar I have.

Thanks for the reply!

8. viking power

viking power Member

oh, I’m so in the dark! Never knew of the pickup booster pedal! Thanks for the advice!

Benderp likes this.
  9. viking power

viking power Member

Will do, thanks!

Would that replace my BOSS OS-2?
    I’m not super educated on the topic yet. Haha.

10. theRagman

theRagman Gold Supporting Member

I always have the same answer to this question when it comes up (as it does, with some frequency): Bogner Burnley works for me. My current band, I play an SSS strat with fairly vintage-output (noise-cancelling) pickups. The Burnley makes it into a huge-sounding rock machine.

11. 71strat

71strat Member

Roger Mayer Voodoo Bass. Takes the Strat pup into HB'r territory, and is also really good for drop tuning. Is optimized for Bass guitar, but works equally well with Strat single coils/P90s, and HBe'rs

The Tone control is more like an EQ vs Tone. It shifts the harmonics vs simply cutting, or Boosting Highs/Lows. Also works great with HBs Is really great at retains Lows/Harmonics with No Mud, especially when pushed.

I then get either a

150W Celestion Redback

Scumback 65w H55

[​IMG]

Scott941 and viking power like this.
  12. viking power

viking power Member

Thanks, I’ll check it out!
    I tried out a bogner ecstasy red and loved it though it wasn’t as oomphy as I had hoped. Really cool pedal though.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  13. viking power

viking power Member

Wow! As a bass player who dabbles in guitar I had always heard of using guitar pedals for bass. Never the other direction. Cool, will check it out!

Scott941 likes this.
  14. GuitarMike69

GuitarMike69 Member

The humbucker in the bridge position is step one. I used to bring 3 to 4 guitars to every gig, but a Gibson '57 Classic + in the bridge on my favorite strat allows me to go from glassy twang to fat power instantly and has allowed me to bring only one back-up, which sits in a stand untouched each performance. If you really need the single coil bridge tone, you can add a coil split to the humbucker.

Step two is a burly drive/distortion pedal or combination of drives to get you there. I use a vintage '84 Rat for those big fat tones and it stacks incredibly well with a TS in front of it and/or with a Fulldrive III after it. Any good MIAB (Marshall in a Box) pedal, like a Purple Plexi or a Guv'nor, can get you in that territory.

For me, step three is to use an amp with a great clean base tone and more than one speaker. I grew up using two stacks in stereo through the 80s, so even though I play as much jazz and R&B as I do rock nowadays, I occasionally need the "wall of sound" that move some air, like my 4x12s used to provide. I have plenty of 1x12 combos, but have found that Fender 4x10 amps (Supers, Vibro Kings, Devilles, etc) give me all of the glassy cleans and Fender Reverb I need, but can sound huge with a humbucker equipped strat pushing a Rat.

Benderp and viking power like this.
  15. Kevy_Metal

Kevy_Metal Member

16. Jim Marciano

Jim Marciano Supporting Member

Not sure it's really different, the elephant man is a tweaked jack orman boost and towards the end of the knob there is some breakup but it's purely a boost, I use it after a tube screamer so depending on how you use your os2 it may say great afterwards and thicken your tone

viking power likes this.
  17. cratz2

cratz2 Member

[​IMG]

18. Rossi163

Rossi163 Supporting Member

Along with the suggestions for pedals I think you also might want to get another amp that is better suited to "fat and heavy" than a Princeton. The PR is a great amp but you are asking it to do something it isn't really suited for. Run a two amp setup with an ABY switcher.

19. jvin248

jvin248 Member

First step, lower your neck and middle pickup to the pickguard, raise your bridge pickup until switching between neck and bridge brings volume parity. Now try all your overdrive/distortion/fuzz.

If not enough, then add the Armstrong Blender mod. It's a wiring only mod, no new parts. Converts the second tone pot to blend between stock SSS and series HSH. Run of the mill Strat single coils are 6kohm but hit 12kohm when in series and are close to famous hot humbuckers for output. A stealth LP. Plus you can blend between so if you want it only a little thicker and not into the fizzy stage you can get there. If you always use series mode you can swap the volume pot for a 500k version (single coils will be brighter but you can blend a little series).

Stack some pedals. I use a pair of DS-1s for this, the Joyo pedal is used here as a direct to recording (or PA for cab sim at gigs).

20. 71strat

71strat Member