Help Me Get Fat and Heavy!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by viking power, Aug 11, 2019.

1. 3940bigdaddy

3940bigdaddy Supporting Member

Especially Catalinbread.;););)

2. NeedmoreCrunch

NeedmoreCrunch Member

3. Joshua Bernstein

Joshua Bernstein Supporting Member

I used to use a Crazy Tube Circuits Black Magic Mkii with my Princeton. It has a 3 band EQ, which is really good to have with the Princeton to counteract some of the mid scoop and keep things from getting too bright. It was huge sounding to me, and it has the boost that can be switched to run before or after the distortion circuit. I always liked to run it before to make things even fatter.

Good luck with your search!

viking power likes this.
  4. viking power

viking power Member

i gotta keep my bridge single for surf and billy. I’m intrigued by the coil split idea but don’t want to mess with what I have that is so good for mos tod my needs.
    Thanks for all the suggestions though. I’ll look through the rest and see what makes sense for me. Wasn’t really wanting a different amp either.
    All that probably makes me sound like I want this to happen by magic. Haha. Just hoping pedals can do what I need I guess.

5. viking power

viking power Member

I hear ya. I guess I could break my BOSS Katana back out but damn. Really want to do it all with that Princeton.

6. viking power

viking power Member

I’ll take a look. Thanks!!!

Some of my reading has pointed to the need for a mids boost to help with my issue. Cool.

7. viking power

viking power Member

I feel like all this would make it so I could only do heavier stuff. I don’t want to lose what I have s far as tone.

8. Gibson Dog

Gibson Dog Silver Supporting Member

Does the Princeton have a 12" speaker? If not get a 1x12 cab, a Friedman BE-OD OR a Sinvertek N5 & just a New Mini TS (I think you can get the TS & the N5 for around or under $200.) Put the TS before either pedal, if you can't get as heavy as you want out of that combo then not sure what to tell you. I can't imagine anyone wanting more gain than the N5 has, I use less than half the gain the pedal has on tap & it's a TON of gain.

Sinvertek is a tiny builder in China that hand makes GREAT pedals & they're really sweet (above & beyond) people too.

It's not the Strat it's not a problem to get a Strat to sound heavy. Maybe not LP heavy but really close.

viking power likes this.
  9. Feverdog

Feverdog Member

Fulltone makes a pedal called the Fat Boost. It’ll make your tone fuller and your boost fatter.

mildew, Jim Marciano and viking power like this.
  10. sturge

sturge Member

Your setup is just what the doctor ordered for clean screamin' fender single coil goodness but I think you are in need of a stage or two of gain to get heavier tones. I've always been a SC guy and play strat/tele in a rock cover band but I can get plenty heavy using a SS Quilter Aviator head and a few pedals. I've played many tube amps, pedals, etc but in general, setting up amp to edge of breakup then hitting it with an OD gets that classic SC lead sound but to get heavier sounds you need another trick. What works for me is a compressor (mine is an old Teese RMK FK-1...always on) set right at the point where sustain is kicking in combined with an OCD with drive about 11 . I can ride volume and clean it up but it's a great heavier tone when set up properly and it still cuts through nicely. Occasionally I stack a Keely Son of Fuzzhead into the OCD for a higher gain sound. Also sprinkle in a little analog delay...I us an Ibanez AD9 for short slapback delays and a Carbon Copy for longer delays. I recently added an MXR Phase 95 mini and it's badass on leads with a nice slow modulation.

viking power likes this.
  11. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

Midrange is your friend when you want to beef up your Strat. Definitely grab a TS-type pedal since they will tighten your lows and add mids. Put the TS pedal (I recommend the Green Rhino) in front of your Ecstasy Red and stand back. If you can’t get heavy tones with that configuration, then your technique needs work.

viking power likes this.
  12. 5cr33nager

5cr33nager Member

I like EQD Westwood. I used it like a eq pedal. It was right before my amp.

viking power likes this.
  13. Mincer

Mincer Member

Another big fan of that pedal here!

HERSCHEL likes this.
  14. motokev

motokev Member

TWO ROCK Studio 35 amp sounds FAT for a small 1x12.

Some boutique amps have that FAT CLEAN tone.

Difficult to GET that from pedals. Most pedals actually thin the tone.

viking power likes this.
  15. dogbone94

dogbone94 Supporting Member

digitech bad monkey
    wampler triple wreck
    fultone gt500

Feverdog and viking power like this.
  16. Junta

Junta Member

I am starting to sound like some other rat fanatics here, but a good rat clone, such as Jam Pedals Rattler (got one s few months ago, and I ready love it to pieces) might be all that you need to sound fat and heavy with single coils.

I love the rattler with my Albert Lee SSS and Cutlass SSS...

17. aaland_brian

aaland_brian Member

I think the most simple answer is an eq and a compressor pedal. Also wiring your guitar with a fender S-1 switch so you get the 3 pickups together in series will get pretty fat.

Vaibhav Joshi and viking power like this.
  18. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

something I use for my strat is a Scumback m55 speaker, which adds mids and low mids while handling bass efficiently. I consider it almost a strat specialty speaker. It has a vintage bass cone, like Jimi used to fatten his strat and go heavy. But have not heard one with a Princeton so you would be a pioneer. ;)

If you like surf keep your single coil.

A cranked Princeton also sounds heavy in a early metal kinda way with a treble booster pedal, ironically, which really just tightens the lowest bass so the mids can come through stronger when cranking it. Howard from Catalinbread demos the effect nicely on youtube. You will be surprised if you haven't heard it.

Those are my two best "secret tricks", lol, other than finding another nice pedal.

Another thing I did was have a tech activate the tone control for the bridge pickup. Dime for surf, back iff a notch andn boost for more humbuckerish tone while keeping your pickup the same.

So those are some fairly safe and straightforward options IMO.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    viking power likes this.
  19. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

OK, you're getting a LOT of random suggestions. I have actually played a strat and a princeton. An overdrive is only going to take you so far, BUT a fuzz might be too much. Look for a Marshall style pedal, that might get you in the ballpark without overblowing things or losing definition. I use a SL Drive, and also have a Rat or an OCD for this type of thing.

Befuddled and viking power like this.
  20. les_paul

les_paul Member

I have a Strat with the noiseless pickups and S5 switch that gets me great results. I'm perfectly happy with the stock Strat sounds and I can play Metallica songs convincingly with the S5 switch engaged in the bridge position.

viking power likes this.