Help me I.D this strat....

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Guitarded25, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Guitarded25

Guitarded25 Supporting Member

I got this strat as a gift from my wife a few years ago and haven't been able to identify it. I'm thinking its either a Texas Special strat or a Lonestar strat. Its a 2002, American made, in Inca Silver, with a Rosewood fretboard. I'm asking because I'd like to replace the pickups, they sound a little weak, but the problem is....I don't know what its already got in it! Any help you guys can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

[​IMG]

2. marshall2553

marshall2553 Supporting Member

Were they still making the Roadhouse Strats in the US in 2002? I had one a little older than yours, pearloid pickguard, Texas Specials.

3. fox5150

fox5150 Member

Email Fender with the serial number and they'll get back to you with the details. I've sent them in a few serial numbers over the years and they always come back within a day or two.

4. Guitarded25

Guitarded25 Supporting Member

5. John C

John C Supporting Member

Your photo is blocked to me here, but based on the description I would guess it's an "American Strat Texas Special". That model is an American Series Strat with Texas Special pickups instead of regular American Series pickups. I don't recall the Inca Silver being a color on the "plain jane" American Series Strat at that time but I could be wrong. The "Texas Special" version should have a pearl pickguard (again, sorry - I can't see the photo).

The "Roadhouse Strat" (an American Standard Strat with the Texas Special pickups) became the "American Strat Texas Special" in mid-2000 when the American Standard was replaced by the American Series.

Fender updated these models again in mid-2003, switching the HSS and HH models to Fender humbuckers with S-1 switching. At that time Fender also announced a Strat with "Tex-Mex" pickups (which had replaced the Texas Special pickups in the HSS model) and had the guitar shot in the Frontline Catalog spread (along with the HH and HSS models) but I don't believe that SSS with "Tex-Mex" pickups ever made it to market.

Clear as mud I know - but hope that helps.