• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Help me ID this Guild guitar!

hansmoust

Can anyone tell me what model of Guild acoustic/electric guitar is featured in this Fender video for the Acoustasonic amp?

It has no holes in the top and looks like a sunburst Les Paul....easily seen at 1:15 in this promo video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQriaNDiHds

I also found this youtube clip of the same model guitar, but no explanation or info is given:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3INObCXtqcE

Thanks!!
Hello Kyle,

That's a Guild Peregrine. No longer in production right now, but they come up for sale every once in a while.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Kyle Ashley

Silver Supporting Member
Besides the Epiphone SST, is there anything else like the Peregrine on the market now?

solitaire

Besides the Epiphone SST, is there anything else like the Peregrine on the market now?
The Renaisance guitars, like those Lidsay Buckingham plays, and the Godins, like the ones Steve Steven plays but steel strung.

Could look out for a Guild Songbird though, or one of those slim bodied Guilds in the F40 format. Taylor now makes a hybrid as do Crafter - and the Crafter one is not very costy and sound and look very good, I must say. A friend of mine has one of those.

tamader74

Well Kelly,....I can say this, If Hans Moust sez it's a Peregrine....It's a Peregrine, and Gibson does/did offer a Chet Atkins steel string version also, and I think it was available also in a epiphone model.....But, I have always preached the value of Guild guitars ( read some history on the Co., from the tragic death of the founder to today) I have turned a good friend in a Guild fiend (LOL) Hans, Geo. Gruhn, and I, have created a monster, as of this writing, today he has purchased a G-41, and another D-26, and in the next 2 days, I believe he will be successful in obtaining a D-80, this will give him 15 in all, and all in 9.0 or better condition,...Guilds and Tacomas, Best made value for the $$$ you can get........

royd

Carvin has some similar designs as well... thin body acoustics aimed at performance. They are not solid bodies and do have a sound hole though which could make them a little more prone to feedback. Also Fender markets an acoustic version of the tele.

bretttex

Hello Kyle, just to let you know I do own 2 of the Guild Peregrines and they are both incredible instruments. I am considered an expert on acoustic guitars and I have forcused on acoustic electrics like the Peregrine for the past 10 years. In addition to the 2 Peregrines I own, I also own a Gibson SST Chet Atkins and have owned the Godin and Carvin models as as well. The Peregrine is by far the best of all of these guitars. The Guild Peregrine came in 3 models; the Guild Peregrine, Guild Peregrine Custom (with Abalone trim) and the Guild Customer Quilted (Abalone with quilted mapel top). The retail list price started at $1999 to $2300 for the Custom Quilt model. My Peregrines are a 1999 and 2001 model and according to Guild they were both made in the Guild custom shop in Westerly Rhode Island. These are very rare guitars as I have only seen 3 of them in my life time and I own 2 of them along with another 40 guitars. I look them everywhere I go but seldom see one available for sale. If you can find one grad it because they rarely become available! Thanks, Bretttex

Kyle Ashley

Silver Supporting Member
Brettex - thank you for the excellent response! I do keep my eyes open for them but have not found one as of yet.

seratone

I just got a Guild Peregrine a few days ago for 525$. The purchase was almost instantaneous after strumming it through a Fishman Loudbox. I, as well, have been perusing the solid bodies acoutic for several years. I'd be interested in Brettex's experience in this area. I had my eyes ona 82 Guild fs46 cutaway at a local store that was terrifically distressed. They wanted 1200$ as it had been previously owned by Blue Rodeo and had appeared in some of their video's. There was another on EBay that went for about 600$. I only had the opportunity to try in through a keyboard amp, it sounded pretty quacky. The Alvarez FCF7301 seemed to be a good contender, but it was too large, too heavy, too over engineered and had a complicated Fishman Aura system that sounded good a low volumes but didn't deliver amplified. The Godin A6 was fine for very light strumming, but the sound just sort of fell apart with any aggressive playing - the plastic back just felt cheap.

The whole point of a solid bodied acoustic guitar isn't for feedback alone. A lot of bands play at full volume in cramped rehearsal spaces 95% of the time. I tried using Takamine's at rehearsal but couldn't get any realistic tone as the drums and bass were resonating through my guitar. Live, it was no problem, I usually experienced high ceilings, less feedback and better monitors. In rehearsal being too cose to your sound source can indeed bring up feed back issues.

A while back I was thinking of trying out an Epiphone SST and possibly swap out the pickups.

The Peregrine feels and sounds phenomenal... I haven't tried with a band yet...but I'll report back shortly. I think I got an amazing price, it's the custom shop version in black with abalone inlay work.

guitararmy

There's always the Tom Anderson Crowdster. I'd love to grab one but my amateur gigs at church don't quite justify it...

jimlanderson

Yes keep checking ebay , I have seen the Guild Peregrine come up for sale on craiglist a couple of times also , it is a nice guitar for a reasonable price.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom