help me identify these marshall cabs please!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by simeon, Mar 10, 2008.

1. simeon

simeon Member

i just went to a rehearsal in an old theatre and in the guys back room he had these two marshall cabs....

they're open back with basket weave fronts and they stand upright. they have two 12 inch speakers in each and the logo on the front is in gold with the curly script

the closest ii can find on the web is a cross between these two - like the ones on the left, but with the logo from the ones on the right...

[​IMG]

so i'm guessing they're pa cabs from the late 60's early 70's?

i think i should try and get them...i played my rig through them and they sounded a bit bright, but very very cool...

i'll take some pics with my phone tomorrow, as i'm back there again...

thanks!

sim

2. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Those are 67 or older pinstripe PA cabs. Not very valuable but the speakers could be. The logos if original are valuable too.

3. simeon

simeon Member

i think the logo was missing from one of them....

i'll post some more pics when i have them

so would they be ok to use with guitar?

how many ohms are they likely to be? there was no plate on the back with any info and the speakers just had the curly marshall logo on them in gold...

i'm thinking i might use them in conjunction with my two 1x12's which are 8ohms each. i have a stereo poweramp with two 8ohm outputs and four 4ohm outputs...what would be the best way to connect all four cabs? (i'm a bit of a dunce when it comes to this stuff, sorry)

thanks for your help!

sim

4. loverocker

loverocker Member

I have a pair like the ones on the right - with the original G12M 20W ceramic greenbacks. Each speaker is 16-ohm making two cabs that can be connected to the amp to make a 16-ohm overall load. Or you could rewire the cabs to make them 8-ohms each (4-ohm overall load).

Sound just fine for guitar (though not quite as wonderful as the earlier cabs with alnicos).

5. simeon

simeon Member

ahh, that might explain the brightness. good for pa cabs, i guess, but alnicos sound better for guitar, i think (imo)

i'll check the wiring and see what's what...

thanks

sim

6. simeon

simeon Member

ok - i snapped some quick pics with my phone last night...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

is there any way to find out the impedance of a speaker if it doesn't say anywhere on it? it may say on these, but i havn't been able to take the back of the cab off to have a look yet

sim

7. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Great cabs. They are 2x10s, probably 8 ohms each. Usually those are 15 (16) ohm speakers. You can check to see if they are parallel or series wired to figure out the actual impedence.

8. simeon

simeon Member

yeah cool - i'll have a look inside when i get them home!

i'm still confused about running all four cabs at once - assuming these two are 8 ohms each (and my other two are 8ohms each), should i run two in the 8ohm outputs and two in the 4ohm outputs of my stereo poweramp - or run all four in the four 4 ohm outputs? or can i only run two cabs at once?

running two 8ohm cabs on each side of the stereo poweramp makes a total load of 4ohms on each side, yes? so presumably i just run the cabs from the 4ohm outputs?

many thanks!

sim

9. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

It really depends on how the cabs are wired. I've seen the PA cabs like that sometimes wired up for 32 ohms each, so a pair could be run at 16 ohms at the amp.

If you have four 8 ohm cabinets, they "should" be run at 2 ohms on the amp, or as close to that as possible (which is usually 4 ohms for most people)