Help me identify this bass, would ya?

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by elkym, Jan 18, 2008.

1. elkym

elkym Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's pretty hashed. I scored this for $50 at a thrift store. the wood underneath that spray paint is pretty, though. Sounds okay, and plays ok...

Any help?

2. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Well, looks like a Kramer! I used a Kramer bridge exactly like that on a short scale bass project. Nice bridge. I'm not sure what it's worth but $50.00 is a heck of a deal i'd think.

3. docster

docster Member

Not sure what you are asking since it says Kramer on the bridge, and Kramer on the headstock.

4. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Member

Got yerself a classic P/J design there. DSon't know anything about Kramer's version, however.

5. elkym

elkym Member

yeah, there's no serial or anything, but the headstock seems sorta different for Kramer. I just wondered if anyone knew what model it was/might be. Someone sprayed it dead black--- looks awful, but the wood underneath should take some stain nicely... thanks for the comments anyways...

6. bostonwal

bostonwal Member

I wish I got that for $50. Nice score.

7. little cyress

little cyress Member

I just scored a Kramer 710 Bass... with P&J Spector Pups...
    The catalog on the 720 says the body is Maple... the 720 was the contoured version of the 710, which was flat on the bass lower cutaway...

Is your bass MAPLE? how does it sound?

8. elkym

elkym Member

Body is actually some sort of composite. Sad, really, but I'm stripping the paint, and gonna go for sort of a stripey look. I'll post pics when I'm done.

As for sound, it's nice and clear, but maybe lacking in the way of low end growl. The jazz pickup is pretty hashed looking, but it sounds real smooth. Overall, I'm surprised with the jazzy feel of the bass-- I like it.

I think I have a positive ID on mine. 700STB-- it's supposedly an '87 Striker. Ran about $250-350 back then...

9. jonpopu

jonpopu Member

The folks over at kramerforum.com should help clarify a little better. I have a kramer focus7000 with the same bridge, and all the hardware/electronics is made by schaller so yours might be the same.

10. elkym

elkym Member

Yeah, thanks, they've already helped me out... tentatively IDed as an STB somenumber. probably an '87. It certainly looks that old-- well, not anymore-- I refinished it!:D

11. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt Member

Kramer Striker 700st; nice score! I've owned mine for 20 years. They are great basses for the money; you can pick 'em up cheap. Matt