Help me identify this Bill Lawrence pickup

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by NoahL, Aug 30, 2008.

1. NoahL

NoahL Member

I just pulled a humbucker out of the bridge position of a Turser 335 copy I bought and discovered it's a Bill Lawrence. All it says on the back is "Bill Lawrence USA" on two separate lines. I guess he's been making these "rails"-style humbuckers forever, right? This one measures 11.8kOhms when I put a chord in the output plug and measure at the other end of the chord, so it might be a little higher impedance than that? Anything you can tell me about this pickup or Bill Lawrences in general? I've got a bad switch on this guitar so I haven't been able to play it.

2. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

Sounds like a Lawrence 500XL humbucker.

3. rooster

rooster Member

It's a "Bill Lawrence USA", not a Bill Lawrence, which are actually known also as "Wylde" pickups, wound by Bill & Becky Lawrence in California. Two different companies, and the "real" Bill Lawrence pickups (from Bill & Becky) are constantly under refinement, as well as many new products being released.

As you can tell, I'm a big fan of Bill & Becky. I've got their stuff in all my guitars, and I've not found anything I like even close to as much. But that's me.

rooster.

4. NoahL

NoahL Member

so are the Bill Lawrence USA inferior? I guess I've heard about the split from a former partner. i'll go look for their website.

5. rooster

rooster Member

Personally, I think so. However, many people, including several on this board, like the "USA's". I just think they sound rather "lifeless" compared to Bill & Becky's stuff.

Also, their website is at www.billlawrence.com. You will want to link to the Wylde page for their pickups, and their is an extensive forum you'll want to link to for all the details and such.

rooster.

6. NoahL

NoahL Member

7. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

Bill's website sucks. It's getting better, but it still sucks. I don't know what to recommend for a "PAF" tone these days. It used to be the L-465, but that has been out of production for quite some time. Most of Bill's pickups tend to be very transparent - some would say "hi-fi." I've used the L-450s (now repackaged as the L-600s) for many years and have been quite happy with them. However, they don't have the same midrange character as, say, a DiMarzio PAF.

You might want to look into the new L-80 and L-90. The L-90 is supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I haven't tried one yet.

If the "USA" things appeal to you, then so be it, but a lot of us prefer the more recent incarnations attributable to the man himself.

-Ben

8. NoahL

NoahL Member

well, i've e-mailed them twice in the past 10 days with simple questions, and no answer. the website shows dozens of pickups with nary a name. no specs, no descriptions, nothing. does he actually want to sell pickups?

9. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

Look, let's be clear about something. This is a Mom & Pop shop that makes pickups 'round the clock and has better things to do than answer email and come up with website designs. It is beyond me why they don't hire a webmaster to do that sort of thing... but to date they haven't.

As for the picture page - http://www.wildepickups.com/The_Wilde_Collection.php - the names are all there except for the L-500 bladed pups that come in several color configurations. For descriptions, you'll have to go to the aforementioned official forum at fib.nocaster.com or call Bill on the phone.

I agree that it's frustrating not to be able to contact a company by email, but you'll be much better off if you simply give them a phone call. They'll talk you through the product line and make specific recommendations based on your needs. It's old-fashioned service - take it or leave it. The good news is they ship pickups out a whole lot faster than they used to. I waited 12 weeks for one set a couple of years ago. The turnaround times are down near a couple of weeks now. Given the prices and the tones, it's hard to complain.

-Ben

10. uOpt

uOpt Member

An L500XL should have around 15-16 Kohm.

I think they have a L500L model with lower wind, which seems more likely here.