• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Help Me Identify This Fender Speaker With No Codes

HonkyBach

Silver Supporting Member
Hey all,

Before I get going I want to apologize in advance of me coming off as a noob. That said, I bought an amp today that was advertised as a 1967 Fender Super Reverb - Blackface. To me it seems to fit that description (and I will get in to the finer details to ensure that), but the reason I am starting this thread is because I can’t nail down an EIA for the speakers.

The speakers are obviously 10 inch and I believe they are alnico b/c they have the square back, but the problem I am having is that there is no code stamped on the frame. The only thing it has is a square / rectangle blue fender special design sticker with the part # 064121. It seems as though there is something stamped in to the metal under the sticker, as there is a '1' protruding from under the sticker on two of the speakers (I hope it's a 137...). The only other code I could find was a 1020-1 on the cone. That's it. Here are some pictures:

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

There are also some gut shots on the page too, so if that provides any insight on the blackface / 67' authenticity then please pass the information along.

The part codes seem to jive with the idea that this is a '67 for the most part:

OT: 606 719 (schumacher from 19th week of 67)
PT: A606-8(maybe 9 {can't tell b/c it rusted a bit})02 (to me that says schumacher from the 2nd week of 68 or 69 - 69 wouldn't make sense would it?)
Choke: 606-6-30 (schumacher from the 30th week of 66?)
Another small part beside the tubes (sorry I'm no tech): 606-7-18 (schumacher 18th week of 67)
Tube chart is stamped with QG (July 1967)
The chassis is embossed with A24172 and ink stamped with 1172967 W45 (I'm pretty sure the last two numbers are the year (67), but not sure what the embossed # means)

So, overall it seems like this super reverb is pretty original, but I just can’t figure these speakers out. Additionally, some of the part dates are pretty far apart. Is that common? I know the baffle was changed at one point, so that is making me think. I would appreciate any help you guys can provide in identifying these speakers, determining the authenticity of this amp and identifying whether this is an actual blackface or a converted silverface.
I only have a few days before I would have to bring her back, so if you have any info please overload me with it!!!
Thanks in advance,
J

Last edited:

Tele Wacker

I'd say CTS. The speakers just look like CTS speakers. I have several of these 10"
speakers and they are all CTS. Good speakers in a Super Reverb.

HonkyBach

Silver Supporting Member
Ya, I think they are CTS as well. Nevertheless, I was hoping that someone had run into the same issue as me (lack of codes, etc.). Would like to be absolutely sure. If they are the CTS alnico 10's I would be a happy guy ; )
Of course tone is subjective and if I like the tone it shouldn't matter. However, I won't have a chance to crank her up before I need to make a decision. I did really like the store volume tone. That's why she's at my place ; )

HonkyBach

Silver Supporting Member
I have searched the net for something that would provide me absolute certainty, but nothing yet. I don't mean for this to be 'another 10' cts thread', so I apologize in advance. But the uncertainty will bug the s*#t outta me....

vibrasonic

Apply some heat with a blow dryer on high and gently peel it back to see the code and you can press back on. Just peel it enough to see the code, you dont have to take it off.

I'd double check the PT also, sounds like it could be a replacement. 606-8 or 9 means 68 0r 69.

HonkyBach

Silver Supporting Member
Ok, I will try the blow dry tactic tomorrow if no other information becomes available.

I read somewhere that parts can be almost 6 months apart on some old fenders, but I did wonder about that too. Hmm...

J.T. Guitar

Platinum Member
These are the same speakers that are in my 67' Super Reverb that is in the emporium. I believe they used CTS Speakers in these amps during 67-68. The codes on my speakers are "C3 2767". I'm assuming this means CTS, 27th week of 1967. Again, an assumption but it would make sense.

Just went and looked at my 68' SFSR. Those codes are A105 67 on the same speaker type. So, I'm sure the 67 is the year... and I'm sure they are CTS speakers. As for the rest, someone else will have to fill in the blanks.

HonkyBach

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for all the help guys. I too am 99% sure they are CTS alnicos, but I would really like to see the 137 code somewhere. As I mentioned earlier, there is a '1' protruding from under the sticker on two of the speakers, so that leads me to believe that they are in fact CTS. If I attempt to remove the stickers I will let you know what I conclude.

On an aside, through my internet searches I have noticed that many of these cts alnico 10s have rectangle stickers until around 67 - 68 and round stickers after that. Not saying this is a way to distinguish blackface from silverface (apparently some early silverface amps have the square stickers too), but it is something I noticed.

That said, the only thing left erking me is the power transformer code. The more I inspect it the more it looks like 606-902 (rust makes it hard to identify), which would put it at the 2nd week of '69 and thus not original to the amp. Is there that big a difference b/w a '69 PT and a '67 PT?

What would you guys say a '67 Super Reverb with a replacement PT, replacement grill cloth, replacement reverb (accutronics), some replaced caps and some new replacement ceramic fender speaker that is in about 6/10 condition is worth?

J.T. Guitar

Platinum Member
What would you guys say a '67 Super Reverb with a replacement PT, replacement grill cloth, replacement reverb (accutronics), some replaced caps and some new replacement ceramic fender speaker that is in about 6/10 condition is worth?
Probably around the $900 to $1200 mark I would guess??? Replacement parts and mods are the quickest way to depreciate a vintage amp's value. Caps aren't really a big deal, as long as you replace them with quality caps and KEEP THE OLD ONES IN A BAG in case of re-sale.

HonkyBach

Silver Supporting Member
For those interested, I added some pictures of the speakers we were discussing. Just for reference.

Trending Topics