Help me identify this Gibson Archtop Hollowbody

PSaulino

Silver Supporting Member
Hi,

Sometime in 1982 I was in Zapfs in Philly and played a used, recent year archtop- a full depth hollow body Gibson that had the rounded cutaway, smaller body, 2 humbucker pickups, and tobacco sunburst finish. As I recall it had block inlays and a rosewood board... and Gold hardware. I also recall it being referred to as a Byrdland but I distinctly remember that it had a full depth, not the thinline of a Byrdland (that same day a buddy purchased a 1980 ES-347 so I compared them directly). It reminded me of an L5, but less ornate, more like a players guitar and DEF not aN ES-175. Anyone out there have idea what this guitar might have been?

Thanks,
Paul

Last edited:

smiert spionam

Silver Supporting Member
L-7c of some sort, maybe? It's the less ornate twin to an L-5. Not a small body, though -- 17" lower bout, and larger than the 16" ES-175.

PSaulino

Silver Supporting Member
Lower bout was slightly smaller than the 175.. . perhaps L5 Signature? Anyone know when these were first made?

PSaulino

Silver Supporting Member
No, not that one either... I remember when I first saw it I thought it might be an ES-350, but no, it was deeper and smaller all around.
P

27sauce

Gold hardware, block inlays, and a rosewood board sounds like an odd combination to me.

Sweetfinger

Silver Supporting Member
L-5CES? ..but it has an ebony board and the body isn't "smaller". If what you saw had a rosewood board, that doesn't really fit anything, although Gibson did make custom oddballs.

If they called it a Byrdland, that's probably what it was.

Trending Topics