Help me identify V1 vs V2?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by leftybill, Mar 2, 2012.

1. leftybill

leftybill Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    This is the picture of my VHT special 6 ultra combo. I am trying to find out which 12AX7 pre amp tube is for the clean channel, and which tube is activated by the gain channel, or "ultra" channel.
    I have placed the tube jackets on the respective tubes for identification purposes. With the present tube configuration, I am loving the clean channel. I am trying to determine if I should try two Tung Sol or two JJ brand tubes.

2. leftybill

3. BCJek

BCJek Member

The tube socket with the JJ box is v1a and v1b which are the two triodes used in the preamp. the TungSol box covers v2a and v2b, which are used as send and return buffers on the effects loop. You probably can't "hear" the difference that the TungSol is making.

4. leftybill

OK so to clarify, I am using the send and return loop for a few effects. Should I eliminate that portion to hear the JJ vs the TungSol? Would it be more consistent to have two of the same brand in simultaneously?
    Thanks

5. BCJek

BCJek Member

My personal thought is that you can't really "hear" the sonic signature of the tube that drives the loop. The preamp tube is the real sound of that amp, as well as the one output tube.

Tube brand matching is not at all important. Folks change barnds of preamp tubes around willy-nilly as per sound preference. It is often called "tube rolling".

6. leftybill

OK, so what happens when the gain channel (ultra in this case) is used?

7. guitarcapo

guitarcapo Senior Member

Cardboard boxes make very poor tube dampers

8. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

You have to think of the 12ax7 as 2 tubes in one.
    Sounds as if the clean channel is using 1 side, the dirt channel the other (of your JJ).

I doubt you'll hear any difference in tubes in the tungsol slot. FWIW I'd use the JJ there, and run the tungsol in V1.

9. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

would be an interesting amp to drop a 12DW7 into (with one 12AX7 and one 12AU7 triode in the same tube).

10. rolltide05

rolltide05 Member

Hey man, I have a JJ in V2 and a Tung Sol in V1 and I have tried them both ways. The Tung Sol sounds the best in the preamp. Does anyone have any clue as to what will make this amp less muddy on the Ultra Channel. I am running Tung Sol in V1, JJ in V2, and Tung Sol 6V6 for the power tube and it is still very muddy. I also get a ton of noise at high gain with the boost engaged on the drive channel. Can't turn gain up over about 11 o'clock without it squealing like a stuck pig.