Help me I'm addicted

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by chuck, Oct 13, 2006.

1. chuck

chuck Member

I think I'm addicted to buying pedals.

I find myself constantly refreshing the for sale forums, and checking EBay.

I'm buying about a pedal a week. And I'm not talking about cheap pedals.

It all started when I bought a Cornish SS-2/G2 four weeks ago. Since then I bought a Big Cheese clone, a Infinitphase and a Fetto. I have pending offers or bids on about 6 other pedals.

My wife smiles, but is starting to be concerned.

What do I do?

2. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

I hope you're playing music on those pedals at least.:AOK

3. Noah

Noah Member

Sounds like it's time to stop, and clean out the inventory.

4. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

I know the feeling . . . at least you seem to have the resources to spend, whereas I am riding debt and sending out job-apps :-(

5. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

I hear your pain bro. Turn off the computer and grab a good book. Get outside more often.

Bob

6. Phil M

Phil M Member

I understand...

I do play in two bands right now (soon to be one), so I am playing a lot, but I was thinking about this earlier. I have been a pedal slut these last few years. Mostly selling off my initial investment to buy other used ones, so I'm not sinking tons of money into new ones, but cash flows here and there...

Currently have:
    Carb, Gristle King, Teese RMC1, Boss DD3, Korg DT-10 tuner, Tonefactor Huckleberry, MI Audio Tubezone

On the way:
    Lovepedal Karl, Eternity and Purple Plexi. Really want a Semaphore trem and a AM chorus...

Sold in the last year or two:
    Rangemaster, AM Sunface, AM Beano, Time Machine Boost, Foxx Tone Machine, McFuzz, Psionic Triad, MOSFET FDII and Cream custom shop FDII, Keeley Java, Keeley Compressor, Blackstone Overdrive, Lovepedal Burner, Lovepedal Toxic, Lovepedal COT50, Lovepedal Dragon, Lovepedal Vibe, Sweetsound MoFaux, TC Jauernig DGTM, Gristle King and Luxury Drive, H&K Rotosphere, DLS Rotosim, BYOC delay, PE Germ, Teese wah, Everman Fuzzdrive G2, Vox 847 wah, old Dunlop Crybaby wah... I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff.

7. TD Moyer

TD Moyer Member

OK - so I'm not alone! Where do we sign up for the support group!?!

Much the same - somewhere in the past couple of months I lost my mind and went on a pedal buying/trading binge...Granted I had taken a break from playing and recording for a while so my excuse is that this stuff is inspiring me to play more (and I won't put a price on that...ahem). Strange thing is I've done two sessions this past week and on every call I wind up playing straight into a Vox or a Carr -- my pedals look nice though and I definitely use the tuner...sigh....

(Shakes head...)...Used to be in a major label band and had exactly three pedals...happy.....now working on 5 overdrives, 3 wahs, 2 delays,...well, you get the picture...stressed out about what to use and see a helluva sale coming up on the Emporium when I sort out the keepers!!!

8. street

street Member

Wow Phil, I am loving that sold list.

9. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I used to be like that this summer...(from June-early September) Id go on pedal binges where I would just spend $1000 at once...I once did so twice in one month (July...it was bad) and add $500 ontop of that. Ive since calmed down with the pedal binges...There are still lots out there, but, Ive got ALOT of the good ones, and am on the list for ALOT of the good ones... The only pedals out there that I REALLY want at this time are:

Klon Centaur
    Landgraff DO
    Gaspedal Carb
    ZVex ringtone
    ZVex mamoth
    ZVex ooh wah II
    Lovepedal Eternity
    Lovepedal Purple Plexi
    Moog MF-101
    Moog MF-104Z
    BJF anything

Thats about it...not that bad, right? I figure at this rate I should have them all by the summer. Ive been getting into amps and guitars as of late... thats very unfortunate for me :( (its those damn fender customshop relic guitars!!!)

10. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

hmm I could use some help too ... I seem to have way to many boost and ODs and just bought another one ...
    Let's see I have
    CMATMODS Tubeslammer
    GasPedals CARB
    DreamFX Heaven and Hell
    DreamFX Fire Boost
    CMATMODS Phat Boost
    Barge DB-2 (Dual Boost)
    Boss D-6
    Fulltone Distortion Pro (on the way)
    A Fuzz/Boost (on the way)

One might think it is not that much but .. how many OD/Boosts could I possibly need ... and one of my guitars has an awesome build in OD!!

I should trade some of my boost and od for .. Chorus and Wah and the such ...

11. Stressfest

Stressfest Member

Damn...i thought i was bad :)

12. TD Moyer

TD Moyer Member

Stressfest - I see that you may have just "enabled" me on the Purple Plexi thread with that link....

OK - so I have on my board or on the way; Klon, FDII, FD II Mosfet, Hermida Mosferatu, Eternity (on the way)...into a Carr that can get a great grind on it's own...Help me...why should I NOT get a Purple Plexi???

13. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

I've got a problem too. I have or have owned the following, most bought over the last year, year and a half:
    Rat
    Keeley DS-1
    Keeley TS9
    Keeley BD-2
    SansAmp GT-2
    Liquid Sunshine
    Barber DD
    Barber LTD
    Barber Tone Press
    MI Audio Blues Pro
    MI Audio Crunch Box
    Timmy
    Skreddy Mayo
    Tonefactor Huckleberry
    Lovepedal Eternity
    Gaspedal Carb
    SCOD
    Emma Reeza
    BJF LGW
    BJF Dyna Red
    BJF Honey Bee
    BJF SBEQ
    Morning Dew
    Sniper GE-7
    Zendrive
    OCD
    Hotcake

I need help!

14. Jube2550

Jube2550 Member

TGP disease, infectious. That Lovepedal E Roadhouse order thread almost got me but must resist, must fight, oh dam where's my wallet.

15. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Im not on your levels, but im feeling the pain... Over the last year, I've bought and/or sold all of these:

Hotcake
    CARB
    Retro Sonic Chorus Ensemble
    Red Witch Moon Phaser
    EH Electic Mistress
    Danelecto Daddy-O
    DOD A/B box
    Phoenix Custom Lady Stardust
    Phoenix Custom Ranger
    Keeley Java Boost
    Fulltone Clyde Wah
    Analogman Sun Face
    Barber Tone Press - 2 of em!!
    Barber Direct Drive
    BSM Treble Booster
    Timmy
    Pedal Power II

And for half that year, I been without a j-o-b. :jo

16. RobertS.

RobertS. Member

Last year at this time I had about 4 or 5 pedals (older non boutique ones) & in Jan. this year I found TGP.
    Now I have more than 2 pedal boards worth including An Eternity, Timmy, COT50, MDEQ, Budwah, Cactus Crunch, Dirty Angel & more with a Zendrive coming! In the 70's I was addicted to things I could smoke & ingest, this is a lot healthier!:D

17. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

You need proffessional help boy..
    Proffessional help!

18. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

I go through times like that as well. Sometimes I won't check the boards much and I'll not buy anything for months. Then I'll get back into reading the boards and I'll be spending a couple hundred a week on pedals. One thing that keeps it in check for me is that I have a revolving door type thing. I absolutely couldn't continue buying pedals like I do without selling some. Sure I spend money on them but ultimately it ends up that I just "test drive" a lot of pedals. I actually rarely keep anything for any significant time period. I think I have like 5 pedals that are keepers and the rest are in and out.

19. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

I'm at the end of a 11 month affliction. Feels good to know that there are good pedals and slightly better pedals but not any one pedal that made me have an epiphany.

Pedals alone can appear outstanding but are much more expendable when part of an ensemble. In other words, if the Klon is off the board and the Hot Cake can foot the bill then what's the fuss again?

In the end it's all just booty.

20. ausguitarman

ausguitarman Member

I have a wardrobe full of pedals.

They come in small boxes so the wife doesn't think thet cost much.

It all started here and I can't stop looking and buying.