Help me intonate this open tuned guitar

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Ibanez_Guy, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Ibanez_Guy

Ibanez_Guy Member

Ok, im trying to intonate my explorer in Open C tuning(CGCGCE) I have 13-16-26w-36-46-56 gauge strings, Dean Markleys. Everything has intonated fine except the bottom C. The middle C (D string) and the high C (B string) both had to be adjusted, the other strings were fine. But the low C wont intonate, I have run out of room for adjusting as well.

This is my first time ever trying to intonate my guitar, so I am probably missing somthing silly. Should I just get a thicker string?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!!

Dave R

2. wilder

wilder Member

Is it sharp or flat at the 12th fret vs open? I don't know your guitar, but you can remove the bridge saddle spring for some extra adjustment room.

3. Ibanez_Guy

Ibanez_Guy Member

Hey,

The 12th fret note is sharper then the 12th fret harmonic. According to my trusty guitar setup book, that means i am supposed to move the saddle back away from the pickups. And i am all backed out. No room if i remove the spring either. the guitar is a Gibson Explorer. Is it possible i have put the bridge on backwards the last time i changed the strings? I tried looking that up on the net and i found that older gibsons are one way, but newer ones are another way. Mine is a 1990, is that old or new now..?:jo Thanks for the response.

Any other suggestions?
    Thanks!!

Dave R

4. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

If you're playing bottleneck slide I think it'd have to be w-a-y out before anyone would notice. :)

I'm not a Gibson guy, but can you not pop the saddle off and turn it around on this one string?

5. BrandonT

BrandonT Member

The 12th fret note is sharper then the 12th fret harmonic,

move the brige slug away from the pickup of the guitar, or to your right as playing.

if sounds flat brige slug moves left
    if sounds sharp, brige slug moves right

if you are out of room ajusting the slug you could have the brige backwards

6. Rhomco

Rhomco Silver Supporting Member

type bridge you can flip that lone saddle backwards to get more string length.
    Rob